12-5

Waverly no longer had an appetite for beans, the others eating theirs in silence. "You never answered my question. Why are you here?"

The older woman placed her spoon in the bowl. "Here, as in Loch Moy?"

"Why not Oxford?"

"Good question. Why here and not Oxford? Well, magnetic fields."

Waverly let out a huffy sigh. "I give up. I ask a question and get you're too young to know, or some weird answer I'm not meant to understand."

"You're not too young," Haught offered.

"Really. Angelism, wanna give that a go. Thought not."

Haught lowered her gaze. "Still doesn't mean you're too young."

Waverly's dagger eyes when she glanced back told her she best remain quiet. "Tell me about these magnets so even I can understand."

The older woman toyed with the few beans remaining in her bowl. "Have you heard of ley lines?"

"Let me guess, it's what you call threads."

"Not quite. They are lines of energy across a landscape. Where lines meet the energy is magnified. The nearest for Oxford is at a place called Manchester, but the energy is weaker than here."

"I would have been happier with Manchester."

"We harness that energy," the monk continued. "The stronger the intersection the easier it is for us to lock onto a time date."

"Lock onto the loch."

"This area also has the advantage of being remote, away from prying eyes. We can come and go without drawing attention, other than the occasional mention of luminous lights over the water."

It was Waverly's turn to glance at Haught. "Is that how you came in?"

"What me?" Haught replied. Waverly folded her arms, waiting. "It's not the best way to travel. Leaves a metallic taste in the mouth."

"Like you. How did you get from here to Oxford? Not that it matters."

"Hopped."

"Jeez, for once answer without telling me something I couldn't possibly know."

Haught's cheeks burned. "I...once we're here, once we have a position on the thread, we hop the distance. As I could at Oxford."

"I wish you wouldn't call me that."

"Once we knew where you were I could hook onto you."

"How?"

"Several methods," the older woman interrupted. "We have access to archaic databases, not as many as we would like, enough to perform our calculations to get here."

"We tracked your phone," Haught added.

"I knew it. That's how you can find me."

"It gives me something to hold onto."

Waverly's eyes narrowed. "Does it? Does it really?"

"I...your phone. I connect with your phone."

"I know you do."

Waverly pulled her bowl nearer, eating a few mouthfuls. "This is actually really good."

The meal over, the monks went about their business leaving the couple alone in the kitchen. "Why do I make you angry?" Haught asked, remaining the other side of the table.

"I don't know. It's you."

"That's what I asked."

"Exactly."