40-Counting on us...

Time travel definitely had its perks, Waverly decided. Like, getting to be new lovers all over again. Not that there was anything wrong with being lovers who already knew how to touch, how to tease, and how to bring each other to that deliciously sharp edge of pleasure. Except, it's not the same as hot, first-time sex with someone who really, really wants to know how you like it.

Fingers entwined, soft kisses exchanged, Waverly considered her world complete in this moment. Nothing more needed. Absolutely nothing more was required in this blissfully perfect moment. Well, maybe only one more thing, for it to be super, super complete. She wanted Wheeler to be alive.

"What are you thinking?" Nicole said, pulling Waverly from her thoughts.

"Oh nothing. It's nothing."

"Which means."

"Nothing." She casually trailed a free finger along Nicole's collarbone. "No, really." She shifted back a little. "Only...I just...okay, don't get mad. I just don't think it's fair that's all."

"What isn't fair?"

Waverly continued her slow finger dance across Nicole's shoulder, deliberately avoiding eye contact. "I just think he shouldn't have to die that's all."

"He being Wheeler," Nicole replied.

Waverly threw Nicole her cutest smile, wishing she'd kept her mouth shut.

"His life for yours," Nicole added. "It could be the rebalancing required for you to live."

"I don't buy that." Waverly wriggled free. "I just think he shouldn't be the one who pays."

"We can't alter this. Not now."

"Hello, time travel."

"It would create too many loops."

Waverly sat up, gathering the duvet about her legs. "Aren't you curious?"

"No."

"Not even a little."

"No."

"Not even a teeny weeny little bit," she added, for good measure.

Nicole was now out of bed, sliding into her jump suit. "No."

"Where you going?"

Nicole winked.

"God, ice cream. What is it with you?"

Left alone in the room, Nicole's gadget bag lay tantalisingly close.

Nicole had served herself a large helping of her favourite dessert.

"None for me?" Waverly observed, entering the kitchen.

"Thought you were off saving Wheeler."

Waverly's body tensed.

Nicole placed the blanking gadget on the table.

"That's...I wasn't going to." Waverly huffed her way to the freezer.

"This isn't a game. There are consequences."

"I know that."

Nicole waited for Waverly to join her at the table. "Which is why I'm coming with you."

...

Waverly knocked on Wheeler's front door. Louder than the first time. Come on, come on, answer. She peered through the letterbox. A fat tabby cat sauntered up the hall meowing, followed by the professor.

"Just a moment," he called out.

Seeing him in his tatty house cardigan, his face unshaven, Waverly could have hugged him. "I'm really sorry to bother you."