21-8945

Every monitor in front of the scientist was now flashing. Her assistant sat nearby analysing another screen, a concerned expression on her face. "If I'm reading this correctly," the assistant announced. "It can't be happening, can it? Look, look, there. The spiral is changing direction."

"Show me," the scientist demanded.

The assistant moved back to allow her to view. The scientist's lips curled upwards as series upon series of numbers updated before their eyes, a pulsating spiral alternating direction in the middle of the screen. Up down, down up, up down, pausing before repeating the sequence. "Yes, yes, it is. It's happening. Finally."

"Should we tell the Admiral?" the assistant said.

The scientist ignored the question, already contemplating the next steps she would need to take to execute her plan. She had kept this part of her work secret from the Inner Circle, fearing those who didn't understand its significance would shut down all of her research without a moment's hesitation. The Admiral in particular was not a devotee of her work, preferring a more practical approach to the impending famine, an approach which didn't involve pinning their survival on a solution so small most might consider it irrelevant.

"Should we tell the Admiral?" the assistant repeated.

The scientist gave a short nod in response. Despite the reluctance to do so, if her plan was to proceed she would now need the Admiral's approval. She also knew she needed to tread carefully if they were to keep the top boss on their side.

Hurrying to the Great Chamber, the scientist and her assistant waited patiently outside for an opportunity to explain the observed phenomenon. The huge doors of the Chamber swung open, the Admiral striding out in full uniform followed by a long tail of loyal officers and members of the Inner Circle. From the expressions on their faces, the scientist guessed their discussion behind those doors related to the great sacrifice to reduce the burden on the rapidly diminishing bean stocks, a topic which took up most of the Admiral's time these days.

The scientist stepped forward as the procession neared, bowing before their leader. "May I speak with you?" she began, straightening herself. "I have good news."

The Admiral stopped, briefly acknowledging their presence, instructing one of the officers to escort them to her private rooms to await her arrival. The scientist bowed once more as the Admiral moved off, a train of people shuffling behind her to keep up.

As soon as they were alone the scientist turned to her assistant. "I fear she is still annoyed with me because of my vote to send her consort."

"Will you tell the Admiral of the consort's involvement in the breakthrough?"

The scientist fell silent. Without the consort none of this would have been possible, the one result she most hoped for all these months, the one outcome they most needed, and it had been achieved through her efforts. The potential to travel forwards not just backwards, the implications of which held enormous potential.

"There is still much to do," the scientist counselled. "I will ask permission to visit, and invite the thread to return with us."

"For the good of many," the assistant replied, just as the Admiral entered.

"What news is so important to interrupt my duties?"

The scientist and her assistant bowed deeply. "Admiral, dear friend, I bring you news of a discovery which I believe will aid your efforts. One which could be to your advantage."

The Admiral gave the scientist a dismissive glance, moving to sit behind the desk, motioning for the two in her presence to be seated. "What is this discovery?"