38-189

"Or, instead" the scientist said, "we should be asking, can we change?"

Waverly paused to consider the question. "Hope so," she replied. "I mean, we have to. It's why I'm vegan."

"The digestives were vegan," Nicole announced, proudly. "I checked."

Waverly smiled in her direction. "Thank you." She returned her attention to the scientist. "You think we can't change. Is that it?"

"That would be a defeatist approach. If we believe we can't slow down growth in population, and enlargement of the technosphere, then why bother?"

"No, I get that. It's just, I thought if enough knew what the future will be like. I don't know...it just feels."

"Individual responsibility is a start. But, there needs to be a shift in the global mindset."

Waverly let out a sigh. "Okay, so how do I do that?"

"Joe has the right idea. We first must accept we're not in control of the planet. Our attitude has too long been the planet serves us, which reduces everything to nothing more than resources to be exploited, and discarded."

"I know," Waverly replied. "Part of my research is on product recycling and waste."

"If we shift the conversation to considering nature and wildlife as our companions, sustainable development becomes a question of addressing the technosphere to accommodate all."

Waverly nodded her agreement.

"There is one more question we should ask?"

"Okay."

"What is a good life on this planet?"

"One that doesn't lead to the future we have," Waverly replied. "I get it." Nicole began fidgeting. Waverly ended the communication with the scientist, curious as Nicole sprang from the chair. "Where are you going?"

"You'll see. I've been dying to show you."

Waverly wished Nicole hadn't used that word. Dying seemed to permeate everything they did. Her untimely death, Nicole's rapid fading, Wheeler's almost death. She hadn't checked. He couldn't be dead. Not again. Not this time.

Chrissy was her usual chirpy self. "Where were you? Missed a great lecture this morning."

"Was Wheeler there? Did he give the lecture?"

"Of course. You still don't get British sarcasm do you?"

"Thank fuck for that. And, he looked okay? As in, not dead."

"Err, have you been drinking?"

"I wish. Long story. Really long."

"Oooh, who is she?"

"Err, who?"

"The Waverly Earp I know would never, ever, repeat ever miss a lecture. So, if you're not hungover...oh, oh, it's the girl from the uni bar. God, she's hot."

Waverly stifled a laugh. "There's more than one hot girl. Can I borrow your notes when..." she hesitated. "Hey, say hi to everyone from me."

One call to Chrissy revealed she'd lost track of her own timeline. Jumping time, and hopping locations had had a disorienting effect on her. They were currently hiding in 2020, her death day presumably still on the immediate horizon, her mission to change the world, or change the attitude of sufficient numbers still in its infancy.

Time. That's what it boiled down to. How much time do we really have on this spinning globe? More importantly, how much time does this spinning globe of ours have?