23-2

"The inner circle are afraid," the scientist explained, as they walked between blossoming vegetation. "They fear their plan will backfire and lead to rebellion."

Will it?" Waverly enquired, stopping at a row of ripe strawberries.

The scientist plucked two large fruits. "Despite their fears, they would rather see their plan through to completion, than listen to a crazy scientist."

"Typical. Even now they don't believe in science."

"I warned if they worked the bean farms too hard. I knew it would only be a matter of time before disaster struck."

"Haught told me," Waverly replied. "The great sacrifice."

The scientist paused to bite into one of the fruits. "Only, the bean silos are full. There's more than enough for at least another five years."

Waverly's eyes met Nicole's, who looked equally confused. "Wait, I thought...so, no one needs to die. Is that what you're saying?"

"The great sacrifice is a precaution. A flawed attempt to reduce the burden on food supplies."

Nicole heard the scientist's words. She had signed up for this sacrifice not realising her offer to be one of those dispatched might be based on deception. It had crossed her mind why the Admiral hadn't fought harder to keep her alive, why she hadn't used her position to override the decision. Not that she wanted to be saved, not that she was looking for a hero to rescue her. She wanted to do right by her people, loyal to the last breath. But, not if it was a lie.

"This planet needs to heal," the scientist continued. "The damage done needs to be undone, slowly and carefully. Not through a calculated cull. That approach serves no purpose at all, other than to offer the chosen a little more time. It doesn't address the real problem."

"Okay, okay, if there's enough food," Waverly pressed. "Look, I don't want these deaths any more than you do. What's the solution?"

"Bees."

"Bees?"

"Bees."

"Just bees. Okay. Nope. What about bees?"

"What you see before you has been grown without their contribution."

"Because we're underground?"

The scientist offered Waverly the other succulent strawberry. "Because there are no bees."

Waverly studied the fruit between her fingers, lifting it to her nose. Its scent divine, juice spilling out as she bit into its ripe flesh. "Wow, so good. So good."

Nicole watched intently. "What does it taste like?"

Waverly offered her the remaining half. "Like me."

Nicole's cheeks flushed. She sniffed first, nodding her approval, before taking a small bite. Her eyes widened. "Oh!"

"We pollinate by hand," the scientist explained. "Which limits what we can produce. If I could reintroduce bees here, I could produce much more."

Waverly licked the juice running down her finger. "So, why haven't you done that already? If bees are the answer, why not get some."

"I would, only there are none left," the scientist replied, stroking the plant before her.

"Wait. So, bees are not the answer? Nope, I'm totally confused."

"Time travel."

"Time travel," Waverly repeated. "Okay, got it. Oh, oh...are you saying? Oh, my God. Oh, my God. Time travel."