9-19815

Waverly's hand found the end of Haught's hoodie, attempting to reach up inside. "What the..." the texture of the fabric different to what she was expecting, different to what she thought she had felt on the train to Euston. "What is that?"

"My suit."

"Is that how?"

Haught nodded. "I wear this, you see whatever fits in where I am."

"That's...that's genius."

"It's part of blending in, not looking out of place."

"Can I see what you wear at home?"

"Not this. That would be weird. I can show you if you like."

"You can take me there?"

"I can't take you there, but I have stored memories."

"Next best thing I guess."

Haught touched her tattoo, uttering something in her mother tongue, the screen appearing, not the woman this time but Haught's voice, adjusting it as she did before so Waverly could understand. "Well, this is it, my very own pod. I get to meet the others shortly. I have four merits left so am going to ask if anyone wants to go to the lake with me."

"Is that where you live?"

"Used to. I have a bigger pod now I'm older. It's similar."

"It looks different. To here. It's not homely."

"It's home for me. Here is not home for me, it's too old-fashioned. There's too much stuff."

"Am I old-fashioned?"

Haught paused the memory. "You're different. You act in a way, you say things I don't always understand. I'm trying..."

"You are trying. Very. But, am I too old-fashioned for you?"

Haught tilted her head to one side. "I don't understand. You're you."

"On the train, the first time, I saw something coming from you. I felt it. What you feel for me. And, the yellows, when they kick in, it's like..."

Haught took a moment to process what Waverly was trying to explain, her expression changing. "Oh, oh. Oh Waverly, now I get it. Come, let's sit, there's something I need to explain." Waverly followed Haught to the bed, sitting on the edge, her eyes locked on her hands. "What you saw, the spirals, did you see spirals?"

"From your heart. All the colours of the rainbow."

"Oh Waverly, that's why I carry your photo with me."

"Because you love me?"

"In a way, but not your kind of love. Not the way you love now, in your time. I...this is hard to explain. I worship you."

"You've said that. It doesn't make any sense."

"It does in my life. You mean everything to me, but not in the way I mean to you."

"Haught, stop it. You're going round in circles. Do you feel something for me, or not?"

Haught inhaled, letting the air out slowly through her lips. "What this is, what we have, is not what you would call love."

Waverly sprang from the bed, heading for the bathroom, slamming the door, locking it behind her. She heard the knocking. "Go away."

"Waverly, let me explain."

"You made me feel things."

"I feel things too."

"Seriously, fuck off Haught."