37-46

Waverly kept her date with Joe. Earth Day 2021. The time 0700.

"I wasn't sure you would come," he said, as she appeared in front of the Resolute desk. "So, I'm guessing time travel is real."

She nodded. "Very real."

He placed his pen down. "Come, there's a lot we need to discuss."

Joe motioned towards the couches, leaving his seat to join her. A low table had been laid out with breakfast items for two people. With everything going on in the world, with all the responsibilities on his shoulders, Joe had remembered the date, and his commitment to it.

He sat in silence while she told him about a future world no one wanted. He listened while she explained the desperate attempts to keep enough of the population alive. He nodded when she said she feared even now, even with time on their hands, not enough would, or could be done to stop the catastrophe which awaited humanity.

"Tell me," he said, "how did you become the messenger?"

Their eyes met momentarily. "It was a mistake. I was never meant to do this. But, then I was left with no other choice."

"As is often the way. I believe your story young lady, but I'm struggling to reconcile it with where humanity will end up."

"That's the problem," Waverly replied. "Without proof, without seeing it for yourself it's hard to imagine what we've allowed happen."

"And, how does it work? You seeing this future."

"I can show you, if you like. I think. We're still working on that part."

"The future."

"I'm from now. I was meant to die, but I didn't, at least I haven't yet. And, I wasn't meant to be able to go forward in time, no one should. But, I did. And, you might be able as well."

His attention drifted to the selection of pastries on a plate. "Help yourself." He lifted the plate for her to make a selection. "But, why you?"

Waverly selected a plain croissant out of politeness. "I am the face of the only religion in the future." She searched for somewhere to place the croissant, Joe coming to the rescue, handing her a smaller plate. "Look, a lot of what I tell you will sound so crazy you'll want to lock me up."

"Like your mother."

The shock of his statement was accompanied by dropping the plate onto her lap. "You...you know who I am?"

He nodded. "My people were sent a copy of your interview. We had to make certain this was not some trick of technology."

"You don't believe me."

"I do believe you. I don't want to believe you, but I have no choice after what you left in that envelope."

"They're all real."

Joe grinned. "I wish I could have seen the last guy's face. Those front pages got inside his head."

"We thought they might convince him."

Joe chuckled. "They certainly did that. The copies of the movies mysteriously disappeared." He leaned in. "My guess is they're in a safe in Florida."

"What would it take to really believe me?"

"Miss Earp. Can I call you Waverly?"

She nodded.

"If you have been to the future, if you know what will become of us, then we are the fortunate ones."

"But..."

"A story like yours, even though it has a truth to it, will be ripped apart by those not on the side of preserving the planet for future generations. They will seize upon it to cast even more doubt that climate change is real. They will claim we have to resort to fantasy, or the stuff of fiction to get our message across."