16-2.9.61

Waverly returned to her room, throwing her bag onto the bed, no longer knowing what to do. She needed a shoulder, someone who could offer her advice, someone she could trust. She checked the time hoping Wynonna would pick up, hoping simply to hear her sister's voice. "Hi, it's me."

"Hey, it's late," Wynonna replied, her voice comforting. "What do you think of Alice's shoes?"

"They're great. How's everything?"

"Oh, you know, same as ever. Guess what happened at Shorty's last night?"

"Wyn, I'm in trouble."

Wynonna didn't pause, switching into big sister mode instantly. "Baby girl, what's wrong? You're not pregnant."

"No. I don't know where to start."

"Wait, let me grab a whiskey." Waverly could hear her sister pouring herself a drink. "It's a large one. Shoot."

Sitting on the edge of the bed she began, telling Wynonna everything, no longer caring what she might think of her. When she finished relaying all that had happened to her over the past few days Wynonna was speechless. "Wyn, are you there?"

Her sister took several large gulps of whiskey. "She's from the future. Do they look different?"

"The same."

"And she can fly."

"Hop."

"Which is what?"

"Time travel. Or, travel after time travel. Short journeys, I think."

"And you're where?"

"Inverness, with monks."

"Where's Inverness?"

"Top of the island. Wyn, what do I do? She's going to be sacrificed."

"Waves, you need to get out. You need to leave wherever this Inver...wherever you are, and let whoever these weirdos are do their thing."

"It's not that simple."

"It is that simple."

"Wyn, I...I have feelings."

"For a space girl? You hardly know her. And, by the sounds of it she's not been straight with you."

"I know. And, I get it. Do I go to the police?"

"Are you crazy? Do not go to the police. I'm having a hard enough time processing what you're telling me. If you try to explain any of this to anyone remotely not related they'll lock you up in the crazy house."

"So, you're saying I should stay here. That's my only option."

"It's not. But returning to Oxford might not be a good plan either, not if the police are after you. Can you leave?"

"I guess. I don't want to. I'm sorry, I just needed to tell someone. I'll be fine. Don't worry."

"Waves, you're shutting down on me. You don't owe space girl anything. She's brought all this on you and for what? For some future event you can't do squat about."

"I'll call you. Give Alice a hug from me."

Waverly could hear Wynonna still talking as she ended the call, suddenly feeling guilty at having dragged her sister into the mess she was in, knowing there was little she could do. It helped a little to have spoken to her, except she was still in the same shitty situation before she started the call.

Haught felt her tattoo itch, her head throbbing, wishing Waverly was there with her. She wasn't expecting a parlez with anyone, her hand reaching over to activate the message. Remaining in bed, minus her jumpsuit, eyes closed she waited for a voice, shocked on hearing the Admiral's. Sitting up abruptly she presented the Admiral with more than she bargained for, realising why she had stopped talking. Pulling the duvet up around her body she apologised.