10-315124

The news of Wheeler's death, what with everything else going on, got added to the growing list of things Waverly had no way of understanding. Chrissy's voice was in her ear. "Seriously, where are you? I asked one of your flatmates. She's not seen you since you left with Haught."

"It's complicated."

"What's Professor Haught doing at your flat anyway?"

"Like I said, it's complicated. I'm not sure I could explain it even if I tried."

"Try me. Look, if you're in trouble. You're not involved are you?"

"With Wheeler? No. Never went near his place."

"How did you know he was found at his house?"

Waverly paused to collect her thoughts. "I...I didn't. Chrissy, I swear, we had nothing to do with Wheeler's death."

"We? Look, can I give the police your number?"

"Sure. Won't be able to tell them much, but sure." Chrissy fell silent. "Yes, give them my number."

"Waves, are you safe? You're not being held anywhere?"

"Chrissy, I'm fine. I'll explain everything when I see you. Don't worry, I'll be fine."

Hanging up she looked at the older woman who had heard her side of the conversation. "This is not part of our mission."

"Are you sure? How do I know you didn't bump him off as part of your future game plan?"

The older woman removed one small flower from her basket studying its petals. "I adore the variety of life on earth. We never kill. It is part of our code, it also messes up the timeline beyond repair. Wheeler's death will have consequences beyond our control unfortunately. I will need to check."

"Who is Admiral 19815?"

The older woman handed Waverly the flower. "Our elected leader for those who choose to follow her. I'm afraid some choose a different path."

"Is Haught? Is she married to her?"

The older woman raised her eyebrows. "That is a strange question. Weaver 812... Haught as you prefer to call her is a consort, they are bonded."

"So, she's not free."

"Free, free, an interesting concept. Yes, she is free to go where she pleases, to communicate with lower ranks, to participate in the Great Forum."

"Is she free to choose someone?"

"Choose? Now it is I who does not understand. Choose who?"

"She can only be with this Admiral and the others bound to her. She can't choose anyone else can she?"

"Why would she need to? Our lives are ordered for us on birth. It stops there being any confusion. We know our place, we know what is expected of us. Well, some of us do."

"But, there's no freedom. What if Haught doesn't like this Admiral? What if they're not compatible?"

"Compatible? Explain."

Waverly handed the flower back. "What you have, what Haught is expected to be, to me it sounds like an arranged marriage. Two people paired together because someone else decided. How could two people who haven't chosen freely be together?"

The older woman smiled. "You are quite correct, bonding isn't a marriage. It's an agreement. Haught is free to be with others, that's why she's allowed to pull threads. She's one of the trusted."

"Guess the future is different."

She headed inside to the basement, Haught nowhere to be found, asking where she was. The woman driver told her she was resting, her fever down and she seemed to be responding well to the cocktail of drugs given. Tiptoeing upstairs, she found Haught's room, entering as quietly as she could, looking at her as she lay sleeping. You're right, your world is not like mine and I'm probably too old-fashioned for you. I wish you could stay, I wish...I don't know, would we, could we, guess not. We're probably too different.