Chapter 2

Setting: Ephedian meeting room

"You can't be serious!", Victor remarked. It was the third day of negotiations between the countries, and so far, they still had to negotiate border customs and opening up the country. "There's no way you expect the people to take kindly to Ephedians entering the country, especially after what happened two hundred years ago.", he stated, shocked that Queen Iridessa of Ephedia even expected such a thing.

"Why not? It has been over two hundred years. Ephedia didn't even have such a big hand in the destabilisation of Othrera, as you say it did.", she asked. The Emperor and the two princes only looked shocked at that statement. "It might have been two hundred years ago, but my people are still suffering from it even today. The things have only started getting better when my father got on the throne and even that would be an overstatement.", Victor said.

"I'm sorry to hear that but there's nothing we can do about it. If you want good relations with us, you will have to allow us to set up a military base in Yavin.", Laina, the Queen of Xeris said. "As Emperor, I can't allow that. A military base in Yavin, even if you are not planning to invade again, will be too painful for the people. Even if you manage to convince me, how will you convince the people?", Victor tried to convince the begrudging Ephedian rulers. Amara felt some pity for the ruler of Othrera. Knowing how the Kelasarians were viewed in Ephedia, she could only assume that Othrerans were viewed much worse.

Deciding that enough was enough, she spoke up "Othrera won't be the only one who would be troubled by Yavin's military base. Kelasar will also be equally riled up with a military force near them, given their history with them and that might lead to violence there and if Kelasar falls to violence, then things wouldn't be very good for Xeris either.", Amara declared. The Ephedian rulers considered Amara's statement and decided that it was for the best that there was no military base in Yavin. Amara met Victor's eyes at that moment and his look of gratitude made her heart flutter.

"Those uncooperative savages! Those Kelasarians!", Laina muttered under her breath so no one heard it except Amara, not that it mattered they did, no one except maybe, Victor, would have disagreed with her. If Amara had been braver, she would have spoken up against her mother, but she wasn't. Izira already overshadowed Amara enough, Amara wasn't going to give her mother another reason to completely disregard her. It wasn't the Kelasarian's fault for revolting, not when Ephedia treated them like that. But criticising Ephedia would be social suicide for any royal, forget Amara.

*****

Setting: Outside the meeting room

Finally, the meeting was over after what seemed to be hours of long and uncomfortable hours of negotiation. Thankfully, half of the treaty was composed and there might be hope that the two countries would have a peaceful reunion. Even if, both sides were distrustful of the other. Amara was only with her sister, Izira, chatting a little. That was until they were approached by the Othreran royal family.

"We're sorry for bothering you but my brother here-", the older prince, Pax said before he was cut off. "I want to thank you for your input there, Your Highness. Your help is something I truly appreciate with my whole heart, Crown Princess.", Victor said cutting his brother off. Both of his brothers stood wide-eyed for a moment before expressing their gratitude as well. Amara blushed from the praise, it wasn't something she got often, especially from an Emperor of another kingdom. It didn't help that his tone was so formal yet felt so intimate.

"It was nice meeting you.", the youngest brother, Pax waved. "You too.", Izira waved back. Then, the two brothers left and Amara could see a hint of a smile on the oldest one.