Chapter 24

Amara stared at Victor with a worried gaze. Victor was breathing heavily after confessing everything. "I'm sure you can learn.", Amara tried to comfort him.

"I could but who am I supposed to be friends with?", he asked.

"I am sure you could make some friends here."

"It's not that simple.", he sighed.

"Why?"

"I thought of making friends with the nobles here but every time I tried approaching them, all I could think of was that they could try to betray me. The way their parents did.", he explained.

"You could try making friends with the servants?", Amara suggested.

"I thought of that but then I started worrying that they could be spies or hired by someone by someone to betray.", he explained, "It happened many times when I was younger."

"...At least you have me?", she questioned.

"At least we have each other.", he said sentimentally. The two shared a gaze before getting interrupted by a knock on the door.

"Come in.", Victor answered. The door opened to reveal Rex.

"Queen Amara, your father is asking for you.", Rex informed.

"Tell him that I am coming.", Amara told Rex and got up to leave the room. "Get some rest, Your Majesty.", she called out to Victor.

****

"What did you call me for, Dad?", Amara asked her father when she entered their room.

"Nothing really, I just needed all the reports you wrote on this trip.", he answered.

"They should be in my cabinet. I'll go get them for you.", Amara said.

"Also, Izira sent you a little voice letter.", he handed her a letter, "I suggest you answer that quickly."

"That's unusual. I wonder what she has to say.", Amara headed over to her room.

****

"Dear Amara, I hope you are dining well.", Izira's voice said in Amara's room in Othrera; hundreds of miles away from Xeris; when Amara opened the letter.

"I was in correspondence with His Highness, Prince Pax recently...", This statement surprised Amara, she had no idea that Izira and Pax were in correspondence with each other.

"...He has mentioned that you and the Emperor have grown close to each other...", the letter continued. Amara had a feeling that she was going to hate the words that were going to come out after this.

"...so much so that Pax reported that you two went on date together in the Palace Gardens? Your Highness, what would you like to say about that?..." First, her father and now, Izira. Amara couldn't get a break from those rumours.

"... I know you will deny everything and say that nothing is going on with you two. That will be considered a lie. According to Pax and Rex, the two of you went to the Palace Gardens, specifically the Wishing Well. I also heard that the two of you returned holding hands and that you had a blue rose in your other hand. Tell me that wasn't a date. Sincerely, Izira", and with that, the letter ended.

This wasn't how Amara had expected that letter to go. She wondered how much the gossip had travelled and hoped for a fact, that it hadn't reached mother. Amara would have been in some real trouble if it did.

****

"What did Izira say?", her father asked, noticing Amara's somewhat angered expression.

"It was nothing.", Amara answered.

"Alright. If you say so.", he said, "I am sure it's nothing."

Amara considered telling her father about her conversation with Izira. But no, that would have been too awkward.

"You can tell me what happened? It's fine.", he cajoled.

"It's nothing.", Amara dismissed. Aluxio tried to make Amara confess for a few more minutes before giving up.

"Amara, can you help me with these policies? We only have a few days left in Othrera and I would like to complete everything before that."

"Sure. It's my job anyway. Tell me what you need me to do."

"Take a look at these policies and tell me if we can implement them back home."

"Sure. I'll start with the business policies. According to the New Othreran Industry Code, businesses must adhere to the rules of the Code. Failure to do so will result in the removal of high-ranking members of the company or a complete shutdown. Government inspectors will be sent unannounced and secretly from time to time to check for any disobedience.", Amara started reading.

The process took longer than expected. Aluxio leaned back in his chair while Amara put her head on the table.

"This should be enough for today.", Amara said.

"I hope it is. We only have three days left in Othrera.", Aluxio answered.

"Just three days?"

"Yes. Time flies by so quickly. Doesn't it?"