Chapter Twelve.

[ Chapter 12 ]

Where am I?

I'm cold.

What is this place?

Bodies...so many.

Why am I here?

What I was seeing was the aftermath of a battle, no a war. What was formerly a fortress, one that would need the strength and will of thousands to topple was laid to wreckage before me. In disarray, the castle had been toppled, covering the area in stone.

I couldn't feel anything, but I was cold. Frostbite? Yet, I didn't worry, or fret over my state. I actually felt safe, as odd as it was to say. I felt safe, floating above the ground, yet I don't think I'm actually...floating.

But what captured my vision, drawing my gaze, and coveting the attention of my eyes. Were the bodies that layered the area, a field of corpses. Soldiers, peasants, and even women. All on the ground, frozen, unmoving, as blood freshly flowed from these men and women. They were dead. Why were they dead? I didn't understand.

Why wasn't I scared? I can only look at them in curiosity, the awareness of my actions bothering me. This is confusing! What the hell is going on? This feels more normal than it should be, why the hell is this happening. Why am I here? I can't move my body either. Not past my head and neck.

I shot my head to the sky as I heard the thunderous flap of wings, the roar of a beast, no, I never heard something like this! It was demonic, having the cry of a monster, a being that seeked carnage. But, when I looked, I saw the sky. Something was wrong with it

The blue sky I grew up beside was replaced with something unearthly, storm clouds. No worse. It was as if the atmosphere became a dark shade of green, a toxic plague infecting it, as the white clouds which were now a dark shade of gray seemed to be just as threatening as the roar I heard. But the closer I paid attention, I felt myself breathing harder as I saw the shadow of a devil in the clouds above.

A giant, demonic creature born with two gigantic wings was flying down towards me. I couldn't move, I couldn't speak, I could only watch as the roar sounded once again, the flapping of its wings becoming ever present as it came into view.

BOOM!

A large resounding boom occurred, the very earth shaking under the force delivered as this creature crashed into the earth. The smoke which filled the area began to clear, making it to where I could get a look at this thing.

I felt my heart stop at the sight of it.

It was massive, standing on two legs, a set of massive wings on its back, and covered in jet black scales that swarmed its body in thick protective armor. It was a dragon, its eyes being an inferno of color. Red and orange hues in each eye. Having the expression of anger. Standing in the middle of the destroyed fortress, its feet were stained crimson, likely due to the bodies it landed on.

Even if it wasn't looking at me, even if I was merely observing it. This dragon...terrified me. Feeling, other than curiosity began to course through me. I felt so small in the face of it. Even if I could speak, not a word would have left me. But when I looked down at my own body, I felt even more powerless. If the dominating aura this dragon produced wasn't enough to strike me with doubt, my form was more than enough. Helpless.

I was a child.

I wouldn't be able to do a thing to this beast even as an adult, so what the hell would I do if it took notice of me?

Yet, In my moment of dread I felt myself being squeezed at the torso, but it didn't hurt. Soft and comforting arms wrapping around my small frame. When I looked down I could only see light skin and...scales? I felt safe in these arms, I didn't understand why, but I knew? Knew that I was as long as this person was holding me... Before I could understand what was going on, I was greeted.