Chapter Forty [ Month Four: Worldly Revelations]

[ Chapter 40 ]

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

An Island far from the reaches of the world. Cold and desolate of any life, you would only find wraiths and beasts upon its land. Terrifying beasts that in modern times belong in fairy tales, exist here. Untouched by the sands of time, they remain. A land covered in mystery, a thick fog surrounds its borders, a wall of gray that cannot be passed. For this land is outside the world, unable to be accessed by normal means. The Land of Shadows. Home of Scathach, a woman who raised many heroes.

But, this was the land he called home.

In a room that couldn't be called cold or hot, made up of broken stone threatening to collapse on itself as this castle spanned centuries, was a boy. Young and small, sitting on the edge of a large neatly made bed. With enough covers and pillows to keep him warm throughout the winter, he sat at the bed's edge. In his small hands was the end of a spear a size too big for him. On his left was a rag, one that had crimson stains covering it.

"Today was really easy. I wonder why Teacher decided to go easy on me...?" He muttered to himself, his voice soft and almost timid. His golden eyes were searching for a reason behind his question, as usual, his teacher would make him work till he dropped. Yet today and the days before, his lessons were no longer than an hour, and for the rest of it, she would merely have him hunt. Hence why he needed to clean his spear.

"I probably shouldn't question it. But, she's been odd these past couple of days..." He finished, as for the past year he had known her, she had never been so easy on him. But he wasn't going to complain about it, he didn't know very much about his teacher, but he owed her the world in his eyes.

Dressed in a clean blue shirt and a pair of tan pants, his little legs dangled off the bed. With a soft and delicate face, he was a cute kid. Something that was further apparent by his pair of big golden eyes that could light up a room. Yet, his hair was odd. It was a mix, stained magenta at the top, and golden blonde at the bottom and middle. It looked as if the red was going to eventually swallow the blonde whole.

This was a very young Y/n.

I wonder if I did anything to make her happy. But, Teacher is very hard to understand... But, I still like my teacher, she doesn't complain whenever I ask for stuff to read... He thought, looking over the spear in his hands. It was rather long, crimson to boot. He was pretty good with it, but he honestly liked the sword better, or even the bow.

He had known his teacher for around a year, yet he was very glad to have met her. Because in Y/n's young mind "Even if she's really strict, my teacher always protects me when I call for her!", so even if the island was dangerous, and the beasts here were far too strong for him right now, his teacher made his situations better by being there.

The woman was strange. She was so strong, stronger than any mage he had ever seen and could do things that seemed impossible. She was amazing to the little boy, she was a guardian angel to him, even if she could be a devil when it came to training... But, she is very hard to read, he was sure even an adult would be put off by her attitude, as the way she carried herself would have you believe she was royalty. Proud as she walked, confident in her decisions, yet always so "blank" when it came to her heart. He didn't quite get his teacher, but that didn't matter to him as much as it would others. He was happy to be under her.

"C-child! Come here please," A commanding voice called, causing Y/n to look up from the spear his eyes had become fixed on. The woman was calling for him, yet there was something odd in her tone that he caught. An embarrassment, fluster, or even....No, that couldn't be his teacher. Shaking his head, he quickly placed the crimson spear on his bed.