Chapter Seventy

Passing along the way on each side of the street, from their fronts to their backs, the citizens and merchants passed along in waves, a blur of bodies that went through their day. And from their fronts, and if they would look behind their backs, these knights in the alley, in between two streets, would see and notice the many busybodies. Seated on crates, in a group of five, they allowed their eyes to take notice and glance, always looking for anything out of pure chance. On duty, they sat waiting for anything or anyone that could or would stir up trouble and cause a bit of fun to their rather dry stationary positions.

"Aye, Commander? I never asked you, but what's your favorite part of a story?" One knight asked, dressed in silver armor with dark blue accents, looking towards their towering and trustworthy commander who had his back to the war and his squire at his left.

A giant among men, he was built like a mountain and looked to be stronger than an ox, adorned in glorious silver. Seated and resting, he shrugged, getting some feeling back in his body as he put his right hand to his chin as his helmet covered his head. And his squire to his left, the girl in stocky armor also moved a bit closer to hear she raised her visor.

"Ah, now that is a tricky one, well for most. But I think you'll be mighty surprised with what I got to say?" Y/n said as his lips curved slightly up. Earning a laugh from one of the other three men present, the redhead raised a brow as the older knight across from him laughed.

"Well, I haven't said it yet, but don't ya a mind reader now, Florence?"

"Ah hell no, I can't perform a spell even if it was that coot Merlin teaching me. But I find it quite funny hearing you tell us you got a surprise when last week that daughter of yours snuck into our barracks to come and find you! Haha! All the boys thought they were in deep shit when she scraped her knee and you came bolting in looking for her, haha!" The knight explained, earning a round of laughs from the men while the ever-calm commander only chuckled.

"Well, I guess I'm bringing something new into other people's lives. But, to answer Willem's question," Standing up, He moved and leaned against the stone wall, allowing Gareth to take a break from standing. "The beginning is what gets you into the story, and the end is what leaves you wanting to do more despite it all being answered, while in my personal opinion, I think I enjoy the middle the most," Y/n answered, receiving a couple of questioning looks.

"Oh now isn't that a treat to hear? At that point shouldn't you just say it's the journey you're after rather than the destination?" The knight to his right asked.

"Maybe, but there's a bit more to it than that," With a smirk and tilt of his head, the Irishman uncrossed his arms before walking up to the man. "See, the beginning is what gets you into the story, the end is what leaves you wanting more. But...the middle now is where you're wondering how things are going to go. It's like having a child, sure, you know that you're going to raise them, but damn are you left worried about how you're gonna get there, and even the struggles that may come with it," He explained with a knowing voice, a level of experience lacing his words. "But that's also the point in a tale where almost anything can happen to divert where you think you'll be going, and so, for a curious bastard like myself, it's the perfect place for me," He said, finishing with a small laugh.

"Ehh? I'm not sure I understand, Sir Y/n?" Gareth questions with a look of confusion, not sure of what exactly he's trying to say. It was as if she was witness to a lesson she had no part in, but would be rewarded to learn.

"Oh, you'll get it when you're older, well I guess in couple more years, you were just fourteen a year ago, so give it three or more," With a wave of his hand, he didn't need to explain it to her right now, life lessons could wait as the young girl looked around the group for help. Yet, to her dismay, the older men present all kept their lips shut, only telling her to "enjoy it while she has it."