Why do you have a bat?

The night before the first day of his sophomore year, Scott McCall is sitting on his bed, lacing his lacrosse stick to prepare for first line lacrosse tryouts. When he's finished, he puts it down on his bed and goes over to his doorway to his connected bathroom, grabbing on to the bar that's hanging off it and starts doing pull ups. 

After a few minutes, he lets go of the bar and walks into his bathroom. He walks to his sink, turns it on and splashes water on his face. 

When Scott hears a noise come from outside, he quickly puts on a shirt, shoes, and a jacket before leaving his room, grabbing his baseball bat on his way out. 

When he gets outside, he walks to the right of his house and sees nothing, but then something in a split second. When he sees the person drop from his roof, they both let out loud screams. 

"Stiles!" Scott shouts at his best friend. "What the hell are you doing?" 

"You weren't answering your phone!" Stiles exclaims as he hangs off the edge roof of the McCall household. "Why do you have a bat?" 

"I thought you were a predator." 

"A pred-" Stiles chuckles and continues what he came there for. "Look, I know it's late, but you got to hear this. I saw my dad leave twenty minutes ago- dispatch called. They're bringing in every officer from the beacon department and even state police."

"For what?" Scott asks, still holding the baseball bat. 

"Two joggers found a body in the woods." Stiles falls down onto the ground, landing on his feet. 

"A dead body?" Scott asks, looking down at him. 

"No, a body of water. Yes dumbass, a dead body." Stiles jumps up onto Scott's porch and stands in front of him. 

"You mean like murdered?"

"Nobody knows yet. Just that it was a girl, probably in her twenties." 

"Hold on, if they found the body, then what are they looking for?"

"That's the best part- they only found half." Stiles lets out a small laugh. "We're going." Scott goes into his house and puts his baseball up, grabbing his keys on his way out and locking it behind him. 

Scott and Stiles get into Roscoe, Stiles' jeep that he got from his mother, and drive off to the Beacon Hills Preserves. "By the way," Stiles starts as he drives down the empty road. "I forgot to mention something."

"What?" Scott asks as he looks over at Stiles.  

"I don't know if she told you or not due to how you guys left off, but Madison is moving back to Beacon Hills to live with her parents again." 

"No, she hasn't." Scott looks down at his hands and then back at Stiles. "When is she moving back?"

"Tonight. Why do you care? I thought she was dead to you after what happened." 

"Oh, she is. I was just wondering so I can prepare myself for the agonizing pain she's going to bring with her." 

"You guys need to get over what happened. It wasn't a big deal."

"Wasn't a big deal? She betrayed me, Stiles. To me, it was a big deal." 

"Anyway, changing the topic for now, we're here." Scott and Stiles get out of the jeep as Stiles had turned off the ignition. 

"We're seriously doing this?" Scott asks as they walk up to the sign that says Beacon Hills Preserve NO ENTRY AFTER DARK. 

"You're the one always bitching that nothing ever happens in this town," Stiles responds as he flashes the flashlight in his hand in front of him. The two teenage boys crouch underneath the sign and walk into the woods.