B i l a n g XXXI

"D-duke Triton." I called but it seems like he didn't hear me.

He look furious somehow, but nothing's new. Everytime I see him, his thick and pretty brows are always furrowed. I smiled, he still looks pretty.

"Princess, I think you should wait for the Duke to call. As you can see, he has a guest." I look at Martha, my maid.

"You're right." I smiled but instead of following her instruction, I followed the Duke. Before I could even open the door widely enough for me to enter, my body automatically stopped halfway of opening the door.

Duke Triton is holding a woman. My lips tremble as my tears awaken. I bit my lower lip and the trembling moved to my body.

I saw how Duke Triton, shut his eyes and move his head to kiss the foreign lady on her neck.

It's the foreign lady from the banquet two years ago..

Are they still together?

I took a deep breathe before closing my eyes, tears fell from my eyes.

"M-martha.." Tears keep on falling. "I think you're right, I should wait for the duke to call on me." I whisper.

"P-priness.." The worried voice didn't escape my ears.

"Let's go back to the gazebo and wait." I said and turn around, before I start walking, I made contact with Amiel, he's just looking at me holding his sword on his waist. I look away and start walking.

I wipe away the tears but it won't stop falling as I walk away.

It's unfair. Why is the Duke holding another woman? Why not me?

I stand under the sun, unable to walk. Martha covered me with the parasol. She doesn't know how to comfort me.

"I'm here.. always here." I cried.

When no one gave attention to the small Duke, I was the one who smiled at him. When no one dared to help him from awful situations.. I was there. I was the one who help him even when I the one who needs help in this foreign place.. so why is he not holding me?

I was only 12 years old when I first step foot in this Empire, no one treated me kindly. I'm only a hostage afterall.

I was also 12 years old when I first saw Duke Triton, a young yet intimidating Duke of Simouniés, relative of the Emperor. He was surrounded by nobles then, young nobles trying to bully him.

"Did your father commit suicide?" A boy asked with a mocking tone. The black haired boy didn't answer so he received a punch, but he did not fight back.

"I heard he drank poison with you. How come you survived? Or did you killed the Duke?" Another one asked, he didn't move anything, he just stand still.

"You probably want to inherit the wealth of you--"

"Y-you should stop.." I said with a trembling voice. I got all their attention.

"P-princess!" I thought they'll gonna vent on me but they didn't, instead they ran.

I walk to the boy.

When I met his eyes, it's prettier than the diamond in my bedroom, it shines brighter than the candle light in the dark.

My heart started beating so fast.

"Y-you're beautiful." I whispered. He just look at me.

It felt like the banquet was gone, only the two of us looking at each other was left.

My young heart beat faster and faster as if it's going to run out of my chest. I hold on it.

"M-my name's A-anisa!" I said.

"Triton Kale Simouniés." He said. I smiled more.

It was our first encounter, I was his savior then.

Another batch of tears fell from my eyes.

I was suppose to be his fianceé, I was happy hearing those rumors. Nobody stopped that rumor so I thought I would have a chance.

15, at the age of 15, I started coming in and out of the manor of Simouniés only to hear that the Duke is busy everytime. But they allow me to wander around the manor those times.

My feet brought me to the lake near the house, there's no dry leaves or any trash, it's as if they are keeping it clean.

I sit on the big root of the big tree and watch the calm lake.

"Princess you shouldn't sit there!" Martha yelled. "You'll get dirty."

"It's fine Martha, it's clean her--"

"What are you doing here?" The cold and rough voice startled me but gives me butterflies at the same time.

I know that voice.

I stand up and greet him with a smile.

"Duke Triton!" I said in joy. "Your servant said that you're busy today. So what brings you here?" While speaking, I notice that he's full of sweats and gasping for air. Did he sprint? "Are you alright?" I asked. I got excited thinking that he ran here hearing that I'm here.

"Why are you here and why are you wearing white outfit?" The coldness in his voice were scary.

Did I do something wrong?

I stepped back and look at him.

His diamond eyes never failed to shine.

"What's wrong with my outfit?"

"Leave." He said and turn around.

"Duke!" I called him but he didn't turn to look at me.

I just watch him walk away.

Is that my faith? Waiting and watching the Duke walk away from me?

It seems like it is what I always do..

That day ended and I didn't get to meet the Duke just like those days. My tears didn't stop falling even when I was on the palace.

Nothing's new.

••