The Revelation

[ When Aiah first found out about Mikha's illness. ]

---

Aiah was in 4th year college when she found out.

Mikha gets tired more and more easily. She gets more breathless.

Sometimes her ankles were swollen so they have to always rest first before walking or going to where their destination is.

She was growing anxious and worried about what's happening with Mikha. It wasn't always like this. Mikha had always been athletic and energetic.

So she suggested for a check up. 

At first, Mikha refused. Saying she's okay.

But after a few tries and persuasion, Mikha did what Aiah asked of her.

When Nanay Luce found out that Mikha was going for a check up, she immediately stopped her first.

"Nay Luce? Wala lang naman to, just in case lang kasi nag aalala si Aiah." 

The older woman shook her head. "Saglit lang iha." 

Nanay went to get something, leaving Mikha with Aiah in the living room looking confused.

Aiah looked at Mikha with a smile, "Mag take out na rin tayo ng food later para kay Nanay, I'm sure she's worried din."

The girl nodded. She grabbed Aiah's hand.

"Eto oh." Nanay luce walked back to the living room holding a big envelope. "Mga dokumento. Iniwan to ng magulang mo sakin. Sa tingin ko eto na ang tamang panahon para malaman mo." She seriously said.

Mikha frowned as she took the files, letting go of Aiah's hand.

"Ano to?" She uttered while Aiah watched her open the envelope.

One by one, she read the documents inside. Each paper she reads made her chest heavy.

Every time she grabbed another paper, and another one, and even her mother's document was there. It made her feel worse.

"No." Mikha whispered.

Aiah was starting to get curious. "What is it Mikhs?"

Mikha looked up from the papers to Nanay luce. Her eyes tearing up. "Bat ngayon niyo lang po sinabi?"

"Bilin ng Mommy mo." Nanay luce sadly said. "Sorry, anak."

The girl opened her mouth and then closed it, not really knowing what to say. It's like there was a lump in her throat.

She bit her lips and sniffed.

Her tears quietly slid down to her cheeks.

"Mikha..." Aiah quickly put her arm around her and wiped her tears away. The older girl was still confused at what's happening but her heart is breaking as she looked at Mikha's crying face.

She shook her head and backed away from Aiah. Mikha put down the envelope and papers then ran up stairs.

"Mikhs!" Aiah called out.

"Hayaan muna natin siya nak," Nanay Luce said. "Pwede mo ring basahin yan."

Slowly, her hands took the papers as well.

It was medical records of Mikha when she was a kid.

"She has an inherited kind of disease?" Aiah mumbled as she continued reading. "Usually no symptoms unless it gets worse- Nay ano po to?"

Aiah stared at Nanay Luce like it was some joke. 

"Ganiyan din ung mommy niya. Nahirapan nung ipanganak si Mikha. Kaya ayon..." Nanay Luce sat down and sighed.

"Ano...ano po mangyayari kay Mikha?" Aiah's breathing becomes heavy. Her heart was racing in fear. 

"Ayon ang dapat ipatanong natin sa Doktor. Pinigilan ko lang naman kayo para ipaalam ito at matignan na rin agad."

She froze in her spot as her hand shook. Aiah's head was going into places. She was overthinking.

What would happen? Is it serious?

Paano si Mikha?

Then her phone vibrated in her pocket. She grabbed it and saw a message notification about Mikha's appointment.

"Shit." She whispered under her breath.

Aiah put her phone back in her pocket and started walking up stairs. She was afraid of seeing Mikha.

She doesn't know the right words to say. Or if she need to say anything at all.

Maybe she'll cry and worsen Mikha's mood and she doesn't want that.

It was frustrating. Aiah held the door knob and breathed out her heavy sigh.

Deciding to alert Mikha first, she knocked three times before turning the knob.

"Love." She said and went in.

Mikha was sitting by the side of the bed near the table. She was holding a picture frame.

The girl did not acknowledged Aiah's presence and continued unmoved from her position.

So Aiah went to sit beside her. She leaned in seeing the picture of her parents.

A wedding picture.

Silence echoed the room.

Aiah waited for Mikha. She sat there contributing to the quietness.

She couldn't see Mikha's face as the girl was facing down.

But she could see tear drops on the frame.

"Is it okay to hug you?" Aiah asked, wanting to comfort her.

"Yes, please." Mikha mumbled. Her voice cracked.

Not skipping a beat, Aiah gently hugged Mikha. She caressed her back, trying to give al the comforting energy to the girl.

 "This is the only picture I have of them." Mikha cried.

"I didn't know my mom died."

"I didn't know."

"Why the hell did I not know."

"Oh Love." Aiah uttered hugging MIkha tighter. "I'm so sorry."

They stayed like that for a long while. Forgetting the doctor's appointment.

If only I could take away the pain from her, I would.

If I could trade places with her, I would.

Aiah let Mikha cry. She forced herself to stop her own tears, to be strong for the girl.

Until Mikha fell asleep on Aiah's arm.

And Aiah followed suit, not letting go of Mikha.

On that week, they went to a doctor and found out.

That Mikha only had a few years.