BOND | Rui

✿*¨*•.¸¸♪

Genre: Angst
Warnings: Death

✿*¨*•.¸¸♪

The spider family sat around a wooden table; platters spread across it with their unfortunate guest's remains. Each of them eating their fill for the evening. By now the sun was setting, and the yellows and oranges of dusk were quickly turning into the familiar star-speckled sky, a warm welcome for the demon group.

As they sat inside, the moon appeared over the horizon and the stars peeked into the sky welcoming the night back once more. The cool glow shining down onto the wooded mountain that housed the family of six. The moment of silence from the group was broken though, when the eldest of the 'children' spoke.

"A group of unwanted guests have invaded the woods." At her words, the others looked at her currently docile form; before looking back towards their 'youngest' family member, Rui, for instructions.

"You all know your roles... it would be best that you abide by their purposes." The silent threat of their failure weaved carefully into his words.

After their silent question had been answered, the father and mother left to patrol and protect the area. The children split their sperate ways, the eldest boy leaving to his play area, and the youngest daughter going off to fight as well.

The remaining two left the house and launched themselves onto the barely visible webs that created a pathway above the forest. The younger boy turned to his taller sibling and emotionlessly asked her in a demanding tone, "How many are here."

"I can't quite tell; the tripwire traps I set keep getting set off randomly. I would estimate..." The girl pondered over the answer, as if counting the tripwires that had been set off in a matter of minutes. "At least over twenty."

The younger sighed at the annoyance of slayers that had interrupted his family dinner. He stepped towards his elder sister and grasped her hand that hung limply beside her but wrapped around his when they came in contact. The said girl glanced down the mountain, just slightly seeing some of the battle being engaged by the slayers.

Anger radiated off her form. Caused by her younger sibling's displease at the problem bestowed on their quaint family. Her free hand clenched, and on cue, screams of agony echoed out into the forest. The threads that had been strung along the ground had been sharpened to a blade-like wire, cutting through the flesh of anyone that happened to stumble into them.

Almost instantly she could feel her brother's mood rise, though it was still dampened due to the events at hand. His hand unwrapped from hers, and he began to walk away— not without leaving his orders. "Stay here and keep lookout, come inform me if anything becomes concerning."

The girl hummed at his request and sat down onto the web and crossed her legs. She extended her threads, making sure to avoid the areas the other family members were dealing with. She continued to weave a web of razor-sharp wires, basically invisible to the untrained human eye.

A few minutes later, she could feel one of her threads snap and it seemed to burn its way back to her. A painful sting being delivered to her right palm. The smell of seared flesh engulfed her nose, she hissed in pain and turned over the palm. The flesh was burned a sickening purple color and steaming still from the heat while it healed.

"I'll kill whoever did that!" She exclaimed angrily before standing from her relaxed position to turn the direction she felt the pain. Her eyes narrowed and sharpened onto two figures that just began to climb the mountain at a fast rate. Flashes of purple and blue were seen before her eyes widened at the realization.

'Hashira! I need to find Rui and warn him!' She began to anxiously search for him, and felt his presence, right in the path one of the Hashira was headed. Y/n panicked at the events and quickly released her threads of her control to run to Rui using his path of webs above the trees.

SNAP!

A choked noise exited her throat as the web snapped beneath her. The terror of realization creeped up onto her as her form smashed into the ground below her. Tears welled up in her eyes.

Of the whole time she had been staying with Rui, his threads had never broken beneath her or anyone else.

He would brag about them being unbreakable for anyone but him. Along with the snap of his webs, she could feel their bond severe just as quickly, further confirming her worst fear.

Rui had died.

She wailed in agony, still in denial of her closest companion's death. Her wounds sealed up from the fall, and she jumped to her feet, sprinting through the forest to where she last felt Rui's presence.

The trees parted up ahead of her and her feet dug into the damp ground beneath her. The sight before her halted the air in her lungs and made her vision even blurrier. Rui's head laid just feet in front of her, slowly withering away.

She closed the gap and collapsed on her knees right beside it. Scooping up his remains, she held him to her chest, whimpering in pain while stroking his hair softly as it slowly disappeared. Sobs lurched from her mouth and tears streamed down her face. She lifted the head from her chest, lips trembling as Rui gazed at her in anguish.

"Rui, I'm so sorry!" She cried in desperation, still seeking his approval of her as his sibling. "I let you die, I'm so sorry— I'm a horrible sister, it's all my fault!"

Rui silently looked at her as she cried and mourned his oncoming death whilst blaming herself. The spider family markings peeling off her face and blowing away into the wind, giving way to her original skin.

Rui smiled slightly at her caring face before speaking for the last time.

"Thank you, Y/n. You were a great sister."

✿*¨*•.¸¸♪

A/n: Let's pretend Tanjiro and the others weren't there while Rui died. 👀

✿*¨*•.¸¸♪