HILLTOP | Obanai I.

✿*¨*•.¸¸♪

Genre: Fluff
Warnings: None
Modern AU

✿*¨*•.¸¸♪

- 11 years old -

Obanai trudged up the grassy hill. His uniform was caked in mud and blades of grass spotted it. The wind blew roughly through his hair, further dampening his mood.

'Stupid school, stupid kids, stupid wind.' He frowned and glared at the ground as the hill's incline flattened out and he reached the top. The setting sun cast an orange glow on a lone tree, its leaves swaying gently in the breeze.

His teary eyes widened at the sight. The sky looked to be split in two, a rusty orange that quickly faded to a baby blue color. The sound of a grunt came from the tree just a few feet in front of him.

His gaze shifted over, a girl his age was heaving herself onto a low branch. She settled and gazed out to the sky much like him. Feeling eyes on her, she swiped a hand over her forehead before turning to look at Obanai.

The two just stared for a moment, their eyes speaking better than any words could. His gaze was teary, and both their clothes were dirtied with soot.

✿*¨*•.¸¸♪

"Who are you."

The words surprised Obanai. The normally silent hilltop was disturbed by the girl he had seen on his last visit. The two were both clean now, with no scratches littering their arms and legs.

"What do you mean?" Obanai mumbled to the girl, his head tilting sideways at her bland question. She huffed angrily, already fed up with their chat.

"What's your name? I saw you last time you know." She folded her arms and narrowed her eyes at his figure that was seated at the base of the tree. "You getting harassed by those brats down the road?"

Obanai's gaze flung to hers. Their eyes solely focused on the other. Hers sparkling with amusement at his reaction, but he held a stone-cold glare that made her falter slightly.

"It's none of your business." He turned away, trying to end the confrontation.

"Really? Because they have been bothering me too, so I need backup to help me beat up their team of dimwits." She stomped a foot in retaliation and smugly announced her plan. Her gaze was ablaze with anger and dared him to deny her order for help.

Feeling pressured for a positive answer to her, Obanai agreed to help beat up the group of kids.

He was quickly pulled up and yanked down the hill by the nameless girl he had met once before. She raced them to their destination as Obanai stumbled along behind her.

✿*¨*•.¸¸♪

- 15 years old -

The wind blew behind the teenage girl as she slowly strolled up to the top. The summer sun shone on her face, illuminating her figure with its evening glow.

She reached the top, the familiar tree still rooted in its place. The branches swayed and creaked in the breeze. She smiled towards the limbs, the sunlight enhancing her beauty.

"Obanai! What are you doing up there?!" She lifted a hand to her forehead, blocking her eyes from the sun as she stared up at one of the branches. A laugh spilled from her lips at the sight of her friend seated awkwardly on a branch.

"Come up here." He didn't answer her question, only beckoning her upwards with a wave. 

Y/n jogged up to the trunk and jumped up to reach the limb Obanai was seated on. She hauled herself up and swung her legs over to hang off like Obanai's.

She glanced towards him, seeing his mask in place and his snake, Kaburamaru, wrapped around his neck as per usual.

"Y'know, being the one asking to meet here and then showing up late, it doesn't give you a good look." He sarcastically quipped and sighed disappointedly at her. Y/n guiltily grinned and forced a chuckle.

"Yeah, sorry. I lost track of time." She swung her feet in embarrassment, avoiding his gaze.

'Yeah right, you liar. You were just being a chicken and couldn't bring yourself to walk up the hill.' She bitterly thought to herself as Obanai sighed once more.

"Fine, I guess this can be forgotten, even though I skipped club activities for this." He turned away, embarrassed at his impatience for her to arrive.

"Anyways, what did you want to talk about?"

Instantly the relaxed atmosphere seemed to wither away. Weight crushed down onto Y/n and she could feel her face burn with anxiety. She nervously toyed with a piece of hair as she scrambled for a response.

"Well... I wanted to tell you something important." She pursed her lips nervously and held her breath for a moment, trying to gather up her courage.

"Heh, well thing is I— I forgot what I was going to say!" She quickly blurted out another lie, too embarrassed to reveal the truth.

Obanai's features seemed to sour, signaling his displease. And once again a sigh slipped through his mask. Almost as if he had expected this to happen.

"Well, since you forgot, I have something I want to say." He seemed to be somewhat nervous. Absentmindedly fidgeting with a loose thread from his clothes, an awkward silence ensued.

"Alright!" Y/n grinned slightly, partially relieved that the subject was being changed, and partially nervous about what Obanai had to say next.

"How is it..." Obanai paused and furrowed his brows before turning to Y/n. "How is it you're so brash, but when it comes to admitting you have a crush, you chicken out every time."

Y/n froze in shock. The only thought running through her mind was wishing to hide beneath a rock.

"I mean it's not that I would say no, but how can I say yes when you won't even ask me?" Obanai continued, trying to rationalize to himself her actions.

"Ok! Stop this! You're just making me even more embarrassed!" Y/n pressed a hand over his masked face and turned her head away to hide her embarrassed face. "How did you even find out!"

Obanai seemed to grow even more disappointed at the question. He pulled her hand away and sighed once more.

"You should pay more attention when you're reciting your confession in public."

✿*¨*•.¸¸♪