HAPPY | Tanjiro K.

✿*¨*•.¸¸♪

Genre: Fluff
Warnings: None
Requested By: @kittylove32

✿*¨*•.¸¸♪

The bustling crowds of the night made the district seem so exciting and inviting to all travelers who entered. The sparkling lights and the beautifully dressed townsfolk.

Little of the people who resided there knew of the dangers that lurked just beyond the city's bright lights. The glow disappearing into the dark alleyways, waiting with bated breath for any drunken humans to walk into their den.

Y/n was one of those creatures, yet she found different purpose with her partially immortal life. She detested others of her kind, the savagery they ensued and the hostile nature they always displayed.

Yet they had the ability to hide among the crowds, blending in with the very things they considered as food.

Y/n wished for the ability to do that. She fed off of the infectious joy around the city, yet her appearance denied the luxury of blending in with it. Many slayers who had encountered her called her a monster, a blood thirsty demon.

The words always left an ache in her heart. The strong sense of hatred and fear wafting off them gave her a bitter taste in her mouth. They always judged her by her looks, never noticing her goodwill.

That all changed for her though. Just by one, teenage boy, and his simple words of kindness.

✿*¨*•.¸¸♪

"Hey! Girls wait for me!" The laughter from the group of women alerted the shadow dwelling girl. The group of five chatted and giggled to each other as they passed the shadowed alley.

Unseen to them of the hooded figure that followed behind from a distance. Others around didn't notice the figure either, too caught up in the colorful displays and the charm of the city.

Y/n had seen it all before too, and it never got old. But tonight, she was on a mission, and she couldn't afford to be distracted.

The five women had obviously just left the nearby tavern and were heavily intoxicated. So unaware of their surroundings. If Y/n had been normal, she could've had all of them for a midnight snack.

As the group turned down a side path, Y/n followed behind. The other hidden figures that were so much like her, yet so different, silently watching.

Y/n sneered towards the ones that tried to approach. Their actions being halted at the power she gave off.

After the group of women arrived home, Y/n left and returned to her temporary home.

Even before moving here, Y/n had taken to following drunken people as they left for home. For her, it was a win-win on both sides. Because Y/n fed on their positive energy, she would follow the defenseless human's home, giving them protection in turn for her to regain her energy.

Of course, this would attract any slayers when they passed through the towns, forcing her to move from town to town quite consistently.

"Hey you!" A male's voice called out from behind her. She turned to face him. Already, his Nichirin blade glinted in the moonlit night. Away from the crowds, the two stood in a standoff position.

If the male's blade didn't scream demon slayer, his eyes did. They held the stony look in them, accustomed to taking the lives of her kind.

Her face tilted upwards, showing her blank expression. The burgundy haired slayer gasped slightly as his eyes widened. It wasn't an unusual reaction, in fact Y/n would be surprised if he didn't react that way.

Taking advantage of his momentary shock, Y/n bolted. Her form leapt from roof to roof. She figured she stood a chance at escape; with the heavy box the boy was lugging around on his back.

But by the smell of the wind, he was on her trail. Y/n pursed her lips, taking a sharp right to the outskirts of the city and towards the farmlands.

'Damn, that open field is going to get me killed.' Y/n furrowed her brows at the thought. They had just planted the new crops, so there were no corn stalks to hide in.

She reached the end of the city, making a leap for the ground. The boy's scent trailing her the whole way.

The straight sprint through the corn fields began. About halfway through, the panting call of the slayer distracted Y/n.

"Stop running away!" He yelled loudly at Y/n, making her laugh aloud. "What's so funny?!"

"What will happen then? You'll take my life like I'm one of those monsters—" Her words were halted by the tackle he had caught her in. The two tumbled down into the riverbed.

Y/n kicked him off her soaking form, gasping for air after their tussle under the water. She stumbled to her feet, trying to get a hold on the slippery rocks beneath.

The persistent boy didn't let her though, once more tackling her into the water. This time knocking her head into the rocks at the bottom. The box on his back was gone now, and his sword was out of her sight.

Whether it was the water in her eyes, or the hit Y/n had just taken, his features were a blurred mess. The blobs of color began to take form in her vision, showcasing his fiery burgundy eyes.

"Wait— you.... you're not the demon I was sent here to get?" He paused the attack, startling Y/n after just noticing the blade that was pressed against her throat. He leaned closer, taking a deep breath. "You don't eat people?!"

His eyes widened in surprise at finding another demon like his sister. Y/n furrowed her brows as well, confused as to how he knew just by a sniff.

He quickly backed away, stilling sitting in the clear water of the calmed stream after their splashing. He profusely apologized about the chase and injury she had suffered.

"Heh..." Y/n giggled, before bursting out into amused laughter. She dropped back down from her seated position, laughing as the slayer sat beside her confused. "You're the first person to ever apologize to something like me."

The hood had long since fallen to her shoulders, showing the 'disgusting' demon markings that littered her facial features. The moon reflected in her eyes as her smile seemed to make the stars a bit brighter.

The slayer beside her cocked his head to the side, further displaying his confusion. He opened his mouth, pausing before he spoke his thoughts aloud.

"How hard did her head hit those rocks?"

✿*¨*•.¸¸♪