SLEEPLESS | Shinobu K.

✿*¨*•.¸¸♪

Genre: Angsty Fluff
Warnings: Sleep Deprivation
Requested By: @aubreykin

✿*¨*•.¸¸♪

"Just... give me a bit longer Shinobu, I'm almost there."

Shinobu sighed at Y/n's stubbornness. She had been stuck to her chair for the past four days. She hadn't slept a wink in that time. She had even refused to even eat, since that meant distracting her from her research.

"Y/n, it's been days. You need to sleep; your research isn't more important than your health." Shinobu walked over to Y/n and turned her chair around from the desk.

Their eyes met, Shinobu's softening with sadness, the rare glimpse to her true emotions making Y/n blink in surprise. Her skin looked unhealthy from lack of care and sunlight, her hair matted down with grease, and dark bags weighing under her eyes.

The sadness in Shinobu's eyes almost made her fold to the request.

"I will, just give me a few more minutes."

Shinobu released Y/n's chair and stepped back, her eyes dropping to the floor with a sad look. Just as soon, it disappeared, and she returned to her blank smile and empty eyes.

"Alright then. I'll be back soon if you don't follow through with it." She turned and walked out of the room, Y/n already busy at her desk once more, the dim lighting making her eyes flutter shut slightly from weariness.

"You can't help her."

The whisper echoed through her mind. The voice making her eyes snap open and frantically bounce around the room.

"It's all for nothing."

The voice was directly in her ear, the taunting tone making her freeze in place. It was a voice she had heard before.

His translucent figure walked past her, leaning against the desk she had sprang up from. His face was obscured, but she didn't need it to know who it was.

"She will leave you. You're useless to her."

Y/n had backed up to the counter behind her. Her eyes widened in astonishment that he was here. Fear coursed through her, mixing and fueling her loathing towards the man.

"I won't let you..." Y/n mumbled to herself. Her hands grabbed the counter for support and in the process, her hand brushed against something sharp.

A syringe was laid there, empty, but still could be used. She gripped the fragile weapon and lunged at the male, his figure dodging and dancing around the room as she hit and knocked over the many things around her.

The sporadic swings knocked over books and swiped her desk clear of all her progress made in the past few days. The ruckus making Shinobu and Aoi rush over to see what was happening.

The door busted open and the two spotted Y/n as she swung at air clumsily, almost slicing herself as well. Before she could though, Shinobu grabbed ahold of her hand and Y/n seemed to realize what was happening.

She glanced around the room, her eyes filled with confusion. The man had disappeared.

"Where is he..." She mumbled to herself as Shinobu pried the syringe away and shooed Aoi off for a glass of water. She carefully led Y/n over to her chair and sat her down, crouching down to her eye level.

"Are you alright Y/n?" She carefully spoke to the dazed woman, her tone soft and reassuring. "I have Aoi bringing you some water, ok?"

Y/n slowly blink, her brain barely processing the words. She just stared at Shinobu, her gaze swimming with sorrow and mourning. As if she wasn't even in the room with her.

"I need... to get back to—" Y/n trailed off and tried to resume working, but before she could, Shinobu grasped her hand gently.

"Y/n, before you do that, could you drink some water? I'm sure you're thirsty." Shinobu had taken the glass from Aoi, nodding her head gratefully. Y/n tilted her head slightly before decidedly nodding and letting Shinobu help her drink.

She took a couple sips before Shinobu pulled it away and smiled happily at Y/n. "Thank you for drinking some."

She stood up and patted Y/n's head as she began to doze off. Out of instinct, Y/n leaned forward and wrapped her arms around Shinobu, mumbling out some words before passing out.

"Please don't leave me." She leaned against Shinobu as she peacefully slept. The Insect Hashira sighing slightly, relieved at her slumber.

"Of course, rest well Y/n."

✿*¨*•.¸¸♪