9

I WAS AWOKEN to the awful beeping of my alarm clock

I WAS AWOKEN to the awful beeping of my alarm clock. I slam my fist on it, smiling when the noise stops. I roll onto my stomach and stuff my face into my pillow, trying to distract myself from the pounding headache I had. I groan, rolling back over onto my back. I grab my phone from my nightstand, sighing when I realize it was time for me to get ready for school.

I get up from my bed and walk out of my bedroom, closing the door behind me. I proceed to make my way into my bathroom, holding in a horrifying scream when I see how awful I look. I definitely looked hungover. I don't remember much from last night. I remember bits and pieces but it's all kind of fuzzy. I brush my teeth and take off all the smeared makeup over my face so that I was all clean before pissing and exiting the bathroom. I go back into my bedroom and throw on a sweatshirt with some red plaid pajama pants, not feeling like putting in any effort today.

I put my hair back into a loose ponytail and throw my phone in the pocket of my hoodie, heading downstairs. "Morning, mom." I greet, rubbing my eyes. My mom gives me a side-eyed glare before handing me a napkin with a pill on it, followed by a glass of water.

"For the hangover." She tells me, causing my jaw to drop with the loss of words.

"I- I'm not-" I stammer, trying to find the right words only to get cut off when she puts her hand in my face.

"I'm not happy that you got drunk, Nina. You came home last night slurring your words and stumbling all over the place." She informs, "I could tell Jenn."

My eyes grow big with fear, "Mom, don't! Please, please don't! I'm sorry, I'll never do it again I swear!" I beg, taking the pill and placing it on my tongue before swallowing it down with the water.

"I won't this time. But if you come home drunk again-" She starts, but I cut her off.

"I won't. I don't even know why I decided to get drunk last night. I promise I won't do it again." I reassure, hoping I follow through with my own claim.

She nods her head, although she looked like she didn't believe me. "I was thinking we should go visit Momma D at the hospital today. You can meet me there after school."

"Okay, thanks for the medicine." I mumble, leaving the kitchen to put on my converse. I tie my laces and get up from the ground before something catches my eye. I walk over to the coat rack, lifting off a black leather jacket that was definitely not mine or my mom's. I look at the inside, sighing when I see the initials R.B written on the tag. How the hell did I end up with this?

I hold the jacket as I sling my backpack over one shoulder. "Bye, mom!" I exclaim, opening the door to my house and exiting out into the cold air. I unlock my car with the keys, getting in the driver's seat and sticking my key into the ignition. I'm not sure if it was safe to be driving with a hangover, but how else am I going to get to school?

Before I pull out of my driveway, I feel my headache suddenly get worse. I close my eyes and bring my hand up to my forehead, only to close my eyes tighter when I start to see something. A number. It was hard to make out at first, but then I realize the number 129 was flashing in my mind. I immediately open my eyes, feeling completely taken aback. That has literally never happened to me before, I don't see numbers.