41

Nini's POV

Nini's POV

I STARE AT my calendar with a new sense of fear and anxiety that didn't fully hit me until this morning.

The date I had underlined three times in bright red marker back in October, was only four days away. November 18th. The day I've been dreading for weeks. The day Ricky is supposed to die.

I honestly have no idea what I'm going to do. We haven't even talked about it since that day in the alley when I first told him about me. I wonder if he even remembers.

Surely he would remember something like that, right? I'll talk to him about it when I see him today. If I see him today, It's kind of bold of me to assume I will see him. Especially cause Sunday is usually a busy day for families. Maybe he goes to church!

He definitely does not go to church.

I walk out of my room and walk downstairs to see my mom. She was standing in the kitchen making breakfast with the TV on in the back. "Morning." I greet, taking a seat at our island.

"You came home late last night." She scolds. Well, damn. Good morning to you too. "I didn't even hear you come home."

I sigh, not wanting a lecture from her right now. "Mom, I'm s-" I begin to apologize, when she cuts me off.

"Nina, sorry isn't going to cut it anymore." She throws the kitchen towel she was holding down on the counter and places her hands on her hips, looking at me angrily. Such a mom stance. "There is a serial killer on the loose and you're always out late and never texting me where you are! Remember when I reported you missing? I won't hesitate to do that again. Get your act together."

"I also don't understand why you wear that." Her eyes dart down to my wristband. I've worn it so much, I kinda forgot about it. "I guess I'll never understand the trends these days.." She mumbles before returning to the stove to finish breakfast.

"I'm really sorry, Mom." I apologize, fiddling with my hands. "I haven't been the best daughter recently."

"Maybe you can make it up to me by coming with me to see Dana today." She offers. My heart honestly breaks when she says this.

I haven't seen Momma D in ages. I've been so caught up in everything else that's going on, that I completely forgot about my own dying mother. Dude, I really am a bad daughter.

"Of course." I accept her offer. "I want to see her, I've just-" I stammer, not really knowing what to say. "Jack dying really took a toll on me. I know that's no excuse but, I've been a different person since he died and I'm sorry."