38

I HAD KNOCKED on the Porter family house's door for around a solid minute before I was ready to give up and head home

I HAD KNOCKED on the Porter family house's door for around a solid minute before I was ready to give up and head home. I was still getting soaking wet from the rain so they probably wouldn't want me in their house anyways.

I turn around to get off their porch and walk to my house, when I suddenly hear the door open behind me which causes me to turn back around. I'm greeted by a very concerned looking Mrs. Porter.

"Nini, honey? Are you okay? Why are you out here in the rain?" She asks, looking me up and down with worried eyes.

"Yeah, I just-" I stammer, realizing how strange this looks. I wonder how many times they've had a helpless teenage girl soaked standing on their porch. "I just need to see Gina, if that's okay."

"Well, she's sick right now sweetie. Her door has been locked all day. I'm so sorry she missed the funeral. She really wanted to be there to support you." Mrs. Porter explains.

"It's okay. I understand she's sick, but I'd really like to see her. She's like my sister, so I don't mind being around her when she's sick. Please?" I beg, really needing my best friend right now.

Mrs. Porter sighs before opening her door wider for me to come in. "Okay, hon. Only for a little bit, though. I'll get you a towel and I'm sure Gina can give you some dry clothes."

I step inside the Porter home, immediately feeling comforted by the warmth of their house. I've always loved Gina's house. It's so warm and homey. "Thank you so much, Mrs. Porter."

"Anything for you, Nini. Tell Carol I say hi!" She beams before heading off to grab me a towel. I slip off my wet shoes and leave them by the front door, accompanied by the rest of the shoes.

I stand there for about 15 seconds before Mrs. Porter returns with a warm towel, draping it around my shoulders. "You can head on up to Gina's room. Do you want anything? Hot chocolate or tea? Something to warm you up?"

"No, I'm okay. Thanks though, Mrs. P." I smile at her. Gina's mom is the nicest human being on the planet. She smiles back at me before walking away from me and into the kitchen, which is when I start heading up the stairs to Gina's room.

When I get to her room, I read a sign she had taped on her door. Knock and wait for me to answer before you come in. That was never there before.

I knock on her door, hearing only silence for a couple seconds before eventually, "Go away, I'm sick!" I furrow my eyebrows, noticing how she didn't sound congested or sick.

I roll my eyes and open the door, only for my jaw to physically drop when I see that Gina in fact was not sick. She also was not alone in her bedroom.

"Oh my god, Nini!" Gina frantically shouts, pushing a shirtless guy off of her, causing him to fall off her bed. She pushed him too quickly so I couldn't see his face.

I scoff, looking at her with disbelief. "You blew off going to Jack's funeral so that you could hook up with a guy?" She had guilt painted all over her face. I shake my head, "That's really low." I turn around and start walking out of her room.