19

RICKY PULLS IN to the driveway of my house

RICKY PULLS IN to the driveway of my house. We talked nearly the whole ride about nothing in particular, just random conversations. I was a little sad to get out of the car and not see him again until Monday.

"Well, uh," He starts, turning to look at me as I unbuckle my seatbelt. "I'll see you at the party tomorrow night?"

I laugh, "I don't think so. There's a community curfew, remember? The party would have to end early anyways."

"Nini, come on." He scoffs, "Nobody is going to listen to that. If the cops come, then technically they're out past the curfew as well."

I smile and roll my eyes, placing my hand on the car handle to get out of the car, only Ricky locks the doors as soon as I try to get out.

I turn to look at him, "Unlock it." I demand, shaking the handle.

He shakes his head, "Nope. Not until you agree to go."

"Ricky, seriously. Unlock the car." I repeat, still shaking the handle to try and get out of his car.

A mischievous smirk grows on Ricky's face as his hand reaches to turn up the volume of the vulgar rap song that was playing. He turned it up so loud that I'm pretty sure my mom could hear it from inside.

"Ricky! Turn it down!" I shout, bringing my hands up to my ears but it's no use. Even though I was covering my ears, the song was so loud that I could still hear it perfectly.

"Say you'll go and I will!" He replies, turning the song up more.

"Okay, okay fine! I'll go to the stupid party!" I tell him, sighing of relief when he finally turns down the song. He unlocks the doors, so I take my opportunity to get out. "Goodbye, Ricky."

"See you tomorrow night, sweetheart."

I roll my eyes and close the door, walking up to my porch and opening my front door. I step inside my house, taking my shoes off before walking further. "Mom, I'm home!"

I walk into the room my mom was in, seeing her with her eyes glued to the tv. "Sweetie, another person's been shot. They think it was by the same person."

I sigh, feeling a wave of sadness wash over me. "I hope they find the killer soon."

"Me too. I got an email that you have no school next week for safety precautions." She tells me, getting up from the couch to hug me. "I don't want you leaving the house unless I am with you."

I scoff, pulling away from the hug. "Mom, I literally just made plans to go out tomorrow night. I can handle myself, plus I have pepper spray."

"This is non-negotiable. You are not to leave this house without me right next to you, do you understand?" Her voice was very assertive, and I know she wasn't messing around.

"Mom, Gina and I wanted to go to this thing at the school for Jack tomorrow night. Everybody is going, and since Jack was my best friend, I think I should be there." I lie, feeling bad as soon as I say it. I never lie to my mom, but she wasn't going to let me out of the house otherwise.