32

AS SOON AS the words slipped his mouth, I immediately felt taken aback

AS SOON AS the words slipped his mouth, I immediately felt taken aback. I'm going to teach you how to skateboard. Why? I have no interest in learning how to skateboard.

Ricky gets on his skateboard and rides down his driveway until he's in the street. I walk down his driveway, standing at the edge of it. "Why are we doing this?" I ask.

Ricky shrugs, getting off his skateboard. "Felt like you needed a distraction and there's nothing really to do being in my room except for like watch a movie or something." He explains. "Plus, skateboarding is fun."

"I don't really get what there is to learn. You step on the skateboard and go, isn't that how it works?" I step off the driveway and into the street with him, "I've penny boarded before. Isn't it the same thing?"

Ricky laughs, followed by a head shake. "First rule of skateboarding, never compare it to a tiny ass penny board. They're like, impossible to do tricks on. They're also not good for going downhill and are honestly kinda dangerous to go long distances with."

I raise my eyebrows, kinda shocked on his knowledge of skateboarding. "You seem to know a lot about skateboards."

"Well, I told you." He gets back on the skateboard and does a couple circles, "I used to skateboard to school every day before I got my license."

He then gets off the skateboard and grabs it, holding it out for me to take. I eye the skateboard before looking back up at him. "You want me to take it?"

"Yeah." He continues to hold out the skateboard for me to take, "Show me what you know. Ride down to the end of the street and back."

I take the skateboard, setting it down on the ground. Luckily Ricky's houses was one of the last on the street so the end of the street wasn't too far. "Sounds easy enough," I mumble to myself. I start with one foot on the skateboard and the other on the ground, boosting off my foot to get going before placing my back foot on the skateboard.

It was going good for a couple seconds before I didn't realize how fast I was going. I had no idea how to slow myself down so when I tried to, I ended up falling off and landing on the concrete. That's embarrassing.

"Woah, there." Ricky rushes over to me, grabbing both my hands to help me up off the ground. "Rough landing." He tucks a strand of hair behind my ear before looking at my hands. "No bruises, no cuts. You're good. Shake it off and try again."

I start to laugh. I'm not even lying. I was embarrassed that I just fell off the damn thing right in front of him, but I also found it funny. I literally started to laugh as if it was the funniest damn thing ever. The thing is, I don't even know why I was laughing. I was still so on edge from the whole chase thing that happened earlier.

Ricky looks at me weirdly, "What're you laughing for?" He asks, a soft smile growing on his face. I was still laughing, so I couldn't really form a proper sentence.