46

THE SUDDEN VOICE of my mother causes my eyes to fly open

THE SUDDEN VOICE of my mother causes my eyes to fly open. I turn my head and see her peeking her head through my bedroom door, "Nina, get up! Do you realize that you leave for school in 15 minutes?"

"Yeah, whatever," I grumble, rolling back over on my side to continue my beauty sleep. I pull my blanket back up and squirm a little bit under the covers with a full intent to go back to sleep, until I slam my eyes open again.

"Wait, 15 minutes?" I gasp, sitting upright in my bed as I look over at my mom who was just nodding her head. "How did I miss my alarm?" I frantically grab my phone from my bedside table and see that my alarm had, in fact, not gone off. What on earth?

I throw my blanket off of me and rush out of bed, going into my closet and grabbing the first outfit I see. It was some hoodie and leggings, I don't really care enough to pay attention to which hoodie I grabbed.

I very quickly start doing my makeup. I'm sure I'm doing this super sloppily, but I don't care. I just need to get it done. I look around my room, searching frantically for my mascara which I seem to have misplaced, until my whole body stops and freezes as I remember the day.

Tuesday. I only had tomorrow left until the day I've been dreading for nearly a month, but after everything Benjamin said to me yesterday, I don't even know how I'm going to go about Thursday.

Obviously I'm not just going to let him die. I'm going to do all I can to prevent it, but I'm worried about afterwards, because Benjamin threatened to come after Ricky if I interfere.

I'll figure it out, but first I need to get through the full 24 hours I have to spend watching him. Literally from the moment the clock strikes midnight to 11:59 that night, I need to be with Ricky, and I'm not really sure how I'm going to do that.

Especially considering the fact that we are not on good terms right now.

I finally finish doing my makeup, I look monstrous, but at least it's done. I quickly run my hairbrush through my hair a couple times and then check my phone, seeing that I literally had to leave in like, a minute and a half. I hate being rushed so much.

I spray a bit of my favorite perfume before rushing out of my bedroom and down the stairs, grabbing my backpack and slinging it over my shoulder. "Bye, Mom!" I call out before frantically rushing out my front door and over to my car.

I waste no time in starting up my car and beginning the drive to school. I'm sure I was going well over the speed limit, but I don't care. I can't be late, if I'm late to first period one more time then I'm going to get a detention, and that will get me kicked off the basketball team, especially since I've been blowing off practices lately.

I get to school in record time, wasting no time trying to park good before sliding into a spot and putting my car in park. As long as I'm in the lines, I don't care.

I get out of the car and grab my backpack, speed walking up to the entrance. I would run, but like, that's embarrassing.

As soon as I'm about to open the doors, I freeze. I just remembered that I'm going to have to see Ricky and Lily today. I don't know if I'm going to be able to look either of them in the eyes without wanting to cry.