♡ 4 | Intern

Two weeks. It's been two weeks since you've tried to move on. But it feels impossible when you're always by their sides. The three of you are friends before they were lovers. So it's hard to find a reason to distance yourself from them out of the blue. You've debated on telling them the truth to burn things off. 

But will you be okay removing yourself from them entirely? You groan to yourself as you blankly stare at your book. "With that said, let's give him a warm welcome. You'll see him around the school building." Raising your eyes, you notice an unfamiliar face beside your teacher. 

You completely zoned out and missed vital information about this stranger. A tall boy with black hair with two strands in front of his face, thin brows, gray eyes, and little emotion on his face bows to the class. You lean over and whisper to Inumaki, "Who's that?". Okkotsu's  overheard you as he leans back in his chair slightly, "Were you not listening Y/N?" 

Pursing your lips, you shake your head. Your question gets answered when the boy walks over to the back of the room where you and the others sit. He stops short of your desk and the others pretend to focus on their work. You timidly look up at the boy. He looks like an upper classman. 

The emotionless look on his face sends a chill down your spine. Parting your lips, you stammer out a hello. But you can't muster enough courage to say anything more when he speaks in a low tone. "Noritoshi Kamo. But it's Kamo for you, Ms. Daydreamer." 

Your jaw tightens when you clench your teeth. His voice may be calm but the look he gives you can cut you in half. He continues to speak to you despite how apparent it is that you're startled by him. "I've come from Kyoto as an intern of sorts. As your senior, I'd appreciate it if you paid attention in class." Intern? What senior becomes an intern in another school? You don't believe his reasoning but it's not as though you have another logical explanation.

Lowering your head, you give him a short nod. He quietly walks away after and leaves the classroom. You only relax when you begin to hear the sounds of your classmates again. When Kamo had spoke, it seems as though your world went mute. You could only focus on his voice and his voice alone. You rest a hand over your racing heart. 

Kamo's aura had definitely frightened you. "Are you alright, Y/N?" Orimoto nervously calls out to you, her brows furrowing together. "That guy was super scary. How could he speak so calmly with that look on his face? He's totally a bully!" 

Timidly nodding your head, you turn to look where Kamo had left from. Hopefully you won't have to interact with him again.

⌣⌣⌣⌣⌣⌣

Or so you thought. You silently stand near the vending machine you planned to purchase your drink from during lunch period. But there stands Kamo intently deciding what drink to get. You glance at the vending machine and the drink selection doesn't seem any different than what you believe Kyoto has. Maybe he's unsure what kind of mood he's in? 

You hear slight movement from him when he turns to look at you. You straighten yourself up when you meet his grey eyes. Darting your eyes down, your words slur together. "Take your time." Kamo doesn't say a word as you feel his eyes pull away from you. 

A tiny exhale leaves your lips as you feel your shoulders stiffen. "Y/N!" The familiar voice of Okkotsu rings out from behind you. You slowly turn around to be greeted with a relieved smile. Okkotsu hurries over to you with a drink in hand. Your usual favorite. "You hurried off before I could tell you that I already got your drink." 

Why must he be so kind towards you? You feign from frowning at the drink he offers you. An unfamiliar voice cuts into the conversation. Both you and Okkotsu look over to see Kamo standing beside you. "May we trade? I actually wanted to try this flavor but it's sold out." Kamo speaks directly to you instead of Okkotsu. 

You glance from Kamo to Okkotsu. Okkotsu raises a brow in confusion while Kamo still looks expressionless as ever. "Uh...sure." You murmur. Grabbing the drink from Okkotsu, you hand it over to Kamo. Kamo then points to the vending machine. 

"Go ahead and pick something. I'll get it for you." Kamo's eyes rests on your face and it makes you grow nervous. You pleaded to avoid him and yet you're here interacting with him for a second time. Okkotsu stands there awkwardly, his hand brushing through his disheveled black hair.

Kamo glances at Okkotsu, speaking up again. "Do you want a drink as well? Since you technically bought this for her." Okkotsu awkwardly chuckles and shakes his head. "I'm good, thanks." Okkotsu lowly answers Kamo's question. He makes eye contact with you before speaking up again. "Meet up with us when you're done here Y/N." A tiny smile laces Okkotsu's face before he hurries back to the others. 

You watch Okkotsu leave and relax your shoulders slightly. But you tense up again when Kamo reminds you that he's still here. "You're welcome." Kamo mutters. You turn to look at Kamo with a confused expression. He cracks open the bottle and takes a sip. "You're trying to avoid that boy, right?" 

Eyes widening, your jaw opens slightly. "H-How'd you...?" Your words are stuck in your throat when you watch Kamo's eyes smile when he looks at the drink in his hand. He must really like that drink. That's the most expressive you've seen him. Even though you've only been around Kamo for a second time today.

"I like to observe my surroundings Y/N." Kamo easily says your forename. You grow shy and awkward hearing him say it. Kamo must think that's your surname since you've never introduced yourself to him. Clearing your throat, you try your best to sound confident.

"Y/N is my first name. Y/L/N. Please call me Y/L/N." Your voice comes out shaky but Kamo slowly nods his head to your words. You feel slight relief that he knows that now. Unsure why you're explaining yourself to Kamo, you answer his question anyway. 

With a sigh, you look off to the side. "That boy is Yuta Okkotsu. He's my childhood best friend. And you're right. I am trying to avoid him." Your voice becomes softer and softer the more you speak. You feel a pang in your chest from your latter sentence.

Dropping your eyes down, you nibble against your bottom lip. Your fingers begin to clutch the hem of your skirt. There's a tense silence when you don't explain further. There's no reason for you to explain anything to someone you don't know. You hear Kamo inhale deeply before he exhales. 

"Girls in love are so weird." Kamo's words strikes through your chest as your attention snaps up at him. His stone still face looks back at you. "Why avoid the guy you like? He seems to care for you." How can Kamo speak so casually about something he doesn't know anything about? You're about to speak up when his following sentence cuts you off.

"Unless he's possibly already in a relationship with someone else? Maybe the girl he sat next to?" Kamo softens his voice into a hushed whisper. You dart your eyes back down to the cement beneath your feet. "If that's the case, I can understand why you're avoiding him. Nothing is more painful than seeing someone you love, love another."  

Kamo moves away from you and you hear the sound of coins being inserted into the vending machine next to you. Shortly after there's the sound of a button pressing and a thud at the bottom of the machine. Kamo leans over and reaches for the drink. He carefully presses it against your forehead to grab your attention. You shiver from the cold sensation as you look up at Kamo. 

You reach up to grab the drink from him with a soft thank you. He only looks at you in silence before parting his lips to say something. "As your senior, if you need anything just look for me. Whether it's schoolwork or personal troubles. That's what I'm here for." Kamo silently walks away after saying his piece. 

Despite his frozen face, his words are kind and surprising. His earlier scary aura that you perceived changes slightly. Your eyes lower to the drink he's selected for you. There's a scrunch to your face when you notice the flavor. "Natto flavored soda? Ew." Kamo surely has weird taste. Or this is a joke he's attempting to distract your mind.