♡ 14 | Years of heartache

Summer of 20XX - 5 years ago

"Bye mama and papa!" You say goodbye to your parents while fumbling to get your shoes on. It's a lovely and bright Saturday morning. You have plans to spend the day with your friends at the playground. It's no different from any other summer vacation day. 

Your heart leaps when you think of seeing Okkotsu again. You never tire of seeing his face. Summer vacation is the best since you can hang out with Okkotsu without thinking about schoolwork. Giggling to yourself, you hurry over to the playground. You want to see him and the others as quickly as possible.

As you're walking towards the playground, you ponder on ideas of games the four of you can play today. Your parents had told you the weather will be hotter in the afternoon so your group of friends might have to crash at someone's place after your fun outside. As you turn the corner to the playground, you spot Okkotsu and Orimoto already there. You're about to call out to them but notice their nervous and serious expressions. You quickly dart over to hide behind a slide not too far from the sandbox they're playing in.

You're careful to peer from behind the slide. You're confused to why Orimoto looks so nervous. Her cheeks are flushed red and you wonder if she's already burning up from the heat. Okkotsu on the other hand looks like he's holding his breath. You strain to listen in on the conversation. 

"Y-Yuta. There's something I want to tell you." Orimoto's voice comes out as a squeak. She reveals her hand out from behind her back. Slowly she unravels her tight fist to show something to Okkotsu. 

There's a burst of confidence when she stares directly at Okkotsu. She speaks loudly from the small body of hers. "I love you Yuta! Let's get married when we're older." She wears a determined expression with a flushed face. Her chest is heaving up and down heavily. 

Okkotsu lowers his eyes down to her palm. He reaches to grab a ring, staring at the silver jewelry. Okkotsu raises his eyes back to Orimoto with a wide smile and a nod. "Yeah. I'd love that Rika. I feel the same way."

Upon hearing Okkotsu's words, Orimoto's eyes light up. She jumps in her spot before flinging herself onto Okkotsu. The two land on the sand in smiles and giggles. The two seeming to be in their own world with one another. Pure happiness.

While for you, you're in disbelief. Did you hear them correctly? Something within your chest aches a terrible pain. You startle when you find tears trickling down your face. You wipe them away but the tears continue to fall.

Cold. All you feel is coldness despite it being a hot summer day. Your legs buckle up and your butt makes contact with the ground. You're crying alone while frantically trying to wipe these flowing tears. Okkotsu and Orimoto love each other. 

That means you can't be close to Okkotsu anymore. It bothers you so much. That's when you begin to realize why you're reacting like this. You have feelings for Okkotsu. You like him too. 

His smile. His laughter. His voice. The way he looks at you. Everything. 

You hide your face with your palms, muffling your sniffles and gasps for air. You don't hear the footsteps of someone crawling under the slide to see you. Not until they wrap their hands around your wrists. You pull your face away from your palms to see Inumaki. The boy looks over you with worried eyes. His purple eyes darting left and right to see if you're injured. "Mustard leaf."