♡ 32 | Hypothesis

"His heartrate is irregular." Ieiri monitors Okkotsu who's laying in bed with several cords attached to him. Okkotsu's pulse is consistently in the hundreds as if he's running a marathon. It's been three days. The red flush on his face remains despite the nurses cooling his body down with wet rags. There's a look of distress in Ieiri's face. Within her many years of practice as a doctor, this is a first.

It's as if Okkotsu brought himself into a coma while falling asleep. But that doesn't explain his rapid heartrate. Typically coma patients have a slow steady heart rate. From the description she's received from Nanami and Gojo, Okkotsu had no sign to lead to this outcome. Ieiri pinches her nose bridge and groans with annoyance. 

Her pen rapidly taps against the clipboard she holds onto. Several dots litter on the same spot against the white pages. If only she were able to go inside his mind. Are there any sorcerers who can even read someone's thoughts? Or simply enter their minds? Ieiri purses her lips and relaxes her stiff shoulders. 

No one comes to mind at first. Except one person. Ieiri quickly exits Okkotsu's room to find Gojo and Nanami leaning against the wall with their arms crossed. Their expressions are grim. The two quickly raise their heads when they spot Ieiri. "Where is Y/L/N?" Ieiri speaks up in a calm tone. 

Gojo raises a brow, unravelling his folded arms. He leans off the wall and stands in front of Ieiri. "She's in her dorm room. Why?" Gojo blinks as he finishes his sentence. Ieiri casts her eyes to the side, pondering in her thoughts before speaking again. 

"This may be a long shot but the girl's power is her mind, right? Will it be possible for her to enter Okkotsu's mind?" Ieiri throws out a nearly impossible wish. Nanami is quick to speak up before Gojo can say anything further. 

Nanami scrunches his nose before exhaling slowly. "I don't think Y/L/N's powers work that way. She can control things with her mind but to enter someone else's thoughts seems impossible. How would she even begin to do such a thing? The girl is still learning how to control her strength." 

Gojo rests a hand on Nanami's shoulder, giving the spot a firm squeeze. "Now, now Nanami. You should believe in your students more. Nothing is impossible. Maybe Ieiri's hypothesis is correct and Y/L/N can do something as incredible as entering someone's mind. We'll never know unless we try." 

Nanami grinds his teeth together, his nostrils flaring slightly. There's an intense staring contest between Nanami and Gojo. Ieiri clears her throat to bring the attention back to her. "I have to agree with Gojo this time Nanami. We must try every possible idea. I'm at a loss here on what's going on with the boy." 

Ieiri's honesty pulls Nanami's attention away from Gojo. The blonde haired man adjusts his sunglasses on his nose bridge. Heaving a sigh, Nanami nods. "I'll get her." Nanami leaves Gojo and Ieiri in the hallway as he strides towards the entrance of the building. 

Nanami only worries if Y/L/N's even stable enough to do such a task. The girl had locked herself up in her room since Okkotsu's stay in the infirmary. Nanami raises his head up to stare at the clear blue sky. The great weather and bright sunrays seem to be mocking the dire situation. Nanami only feels sadness within him. These kids that he's observed over the years are only experiencing the worst each and every time happiness graces them for a second. 

Making his way towards the dorms, Nanami notices how eerily quiet it is. None of the students are out on the training grounds. Nanami excuses himself in the dorm and is met with more silence. Are they all asleep? Nanami looks down at his watch that reads noon.

"Oh, hi there Nanami." Itadori enters the main room after exiting from the bathroom. The pink haired boy smiles brightly. "What brings you here? Any good news about Okkotsu?"