9: Won't accept failure

"What in the name of bloody Mary is this?!" Oliver muttered harshly under his breath as he stared at the realized results on the wall.

"We FAILED!" Evelyn shouted beside him.

"Exactly," Mrs. Ken replied.

"I don't understand ma'am why fail us? I have always obtained the top marks in the university as a whole, why did you fail me? I mean Miss Jones and myself?"

Mrs. Ken cleared her throat as she looked up at the curious young faces.

"Because you didn't do it as a team, this is terrible teamwork. I grade according to teamwork, not individual intelligence." She said,

"C-can't we reverse this? We can try again, anything. I can't bear this grade." Oliver seemed to be losing his mind as he glared at the U. Besides the poorest grade.

"Just drop it, Oliver, this was all your fault. If you had forgotten about the stupid incident in the elevator and move one, we wouldn't have come to this." Evelyn shot.

Oliver narrowed his hazel eyes that could be compared to needles at that moment at her. "You think I caused it? Why don't you use your head Miss Denim, went over to your bug's house you shouldn't have brought your stupid speculations into it. Maybe we would have obtained a D. That's your kind of grade."

"Stop this!" Mrs. Ken slammed a book on the table bringing their attention to herself. She sighed as she stood up, "if you would explain without maybe I'll consider your pleas." She said,

"Is it just a grade, why freak out so much when we have so many opportunities to catch up?" Evelyn asked.

With the look on Oliver's face, Mr. Ken knew he was in great disagreement with Evelyn. "Maybe you'll like to explain, Mr. Brookes."

Oliver cleared his throat, "I remembered.."

*Flashback

Oliver was ushered in by Chris who was leaving the house that morning as usual Tim was by his side looking out for him. Evelyn was dressed in black denim with her thick afro hair spread out. She held a look of pure hatred towards him and Oliver couldn't love the dance more. Mr. Peter was away for a counseling program and it was just the two of them and a cat.

Evelyn had offered Oliver a seat, while Tim stayed out and waited in front of her room.

Oliver stared down at the small doll seat. "Well, I don't think I can fit in there." He said as he sauntered around the room taking close look at her decors.

Evelyn's seat was wide and very comfortable. "That's the seat reserved for guests in my room." She glared at the back of his head.

He turned around slowly, "I'm not sitting on that Mrs. Denim,"

"My house, my rules." Evelyn shoots back.

Oliver chuckled maliciously, "Nonsense. Your father's house, his rules, and you abide under his rules. Get that." He pointed at his head indicating hers.

"Is this or nothing?" She said,

"Very well, Mrs. Denim, I would rather remain standing. If these are the rules in a black home. Guests remain standing."

Evelyn frowned but quickly dismissed it, "how smart are you? When I tell you apples are legumes." She said taunting him.

Oliver raised a brow, "silly girl, apples are fruits."

She reached for a child's book and opened it, "here apples are legumes." She showed him the exact chapter and the exact page.

Oliver couldn't believe her stupidity. He gawks at her without a word. "Are you faking this or you're seriously missing one part of your brain to be this stupid?" He voiced.

Evelyn sprang up, "how does the comeback feel? After the nominations you made me go through at your mansion."

"What the hell are you talking about? I don't remember yelling at you or being insulted." Oliver defended.

"Smart ass, huh? The chair, the mosquitoes, your argument that you purposely brought up only to win over me when you presented a book! To prove you plotted it. You knew the exact paragraph and chapter."

Oliver scoffed, "you seem to have a problem upstairs. I have read those facts a million times and the book I showed you, so I knew what I was advancing. I can't believe you stoop so low to organize a study just to start a fight."

"You're causing a fight, not me." Evelyn lashed.

"I'll do the project on my own!" Oliver snapped. Evelyn watched his eyes turn darker like his monsters were taking over.

"Same- '' before she got to finish he was away slamming her door. The next thing she heard was his car pulling out from the driveway.

*End of flashback.

Oliver and Evelyn were both silent as they realized what really went on.

"I see that. This should be a huge misunderstanding. I'll give you another chance to catch up, but you only have two days." Mr. Ken said.

Oliver looked relieved and delighted. "Thank you, Mrs. Ken, I won't, ahem," he cleared his throat while glancing at Evelyn who sighed.

"We won't let this opportunity go down, you won't regret this." Oliver completed and Evelyn nodded along.

They were dismissed, out of the office, Oliver paused without a word, he looked like he would say something but nothing came out rather he parted way and walked the opposite direction away from her with Tim by his side.

When he was far into the halls and away from her he let out a small sigh, "Tim," he called softly and Tim hummed in response.

"how do you get along with someone you really dislike?" he asked. Tim was caught off guard by the question.

Then he laughed, "I don't get along with people I hate, I wipe them from the surface of the earth." He added.

Oliver rolled his eyes, "We'll see that later."

He needed to take action against Evelyn, stupid ugly face she had and she was a thorn in his flesh, she would drag him to the mud if he doesn't react to her foolishness in a wise way. Ada or whatever was a huge case to be gotten rid of. And just maybe he had found the solution to her.

A/N

The next five chapters are intense on Oliver and Evelyn, another story to be explored.