26: Other obstacles

Steven approached Oliver and tried to help him but the youngster refused, recovering from the sting faster than expected. "You never cared when you sided brainless Jonathan, you never cared all this fucking years why would you do so now? Is not logical." Oliver finally spilled. 

Steven, who was shocked by the refusal, shook his head, "I was just a kid." 

Oliver scoffed, "No you weren't you're older than me by 7 years, and Jonathan 5. Like I said forget it and let's continue like this. We're both at peace in our respective areas, it's too late now." 

"I just want to get to know you better, have a talk with you, and know you as my sibling. I know father was not kind to you and no one was around to hold him when he was going too far with the pressure he was putting on you, all you did was adapt and it is not good for you even till today." 

Oliver grabbed his mug without a word. 

"Father wanted me to check your medical history and know how well you're fairing, but I would kindly ask you to provide it to me, I'm a medical doctor, and seeing your quantity of pills and your stress reaction, I think your illness is not good at all, and you're hiding something from us," Steven confessed. 

"Forget it, focus on your son and wife, and oh, on Jonathan too," Oliver said while walking out. 

Steven sighed. "What a stubborn kid." 

*******

"I think you should give him a second chance. You were just kids and maybe now he has a son he is more repentant." Evelyn suggested after Oliver narrated his story to her. 

"Have you ever tried swallowing a huge stake or half a burger before?" 

"Yeah, hurt my throat." 

"When you came into my space it was like downing ice cream, pleasant and easy, with a pure and unforgettable taste. Letting Steve into my life and my head is like swallowing a stone." Oliver ran a hand through his hair. 

Evelyn nodded, "I know it is not easy for you. I get it, but maybe give it a try. We don't know if the stone might have a pleasant taste when it gets on the tongue. Maybe you're just seeing it as a stone while it is like coconut, sweet on the inside, shaggy on the outside." She explained. 

Oliver smiled, "You aren't smart, you just speak wisely." Oliver said as they strolled through the park. 

"Then you want to call me sensei?" She teased and he laughed, the sound was stunning to her. 

Evelyn had changed a lot; she wore nice clothes and styled her hair. She might have followed his advice for the worse because other guys are drawing nearer every day, those who didn't notice her till she decided to take off her denim gown and style her big afro hair. And Oliver didn't like that. 

"Evelyn?" A voice came from behind them and they both turned around. Evelyn held a look of shock when she saw this other guy Oliver could feel her tense up and her hands flew to hug her body. 

"K-Kendrick?" She stuttered. Oliver had never seen her so vulnerable then she looked away. 

Oliver took in the boy, he looked like an average person, he had jet black hair and gray eyes, and he looked about an inch taller than him with a strong feature. He looked like an athlete. 

The boy stepped forward but Tim came in between him and Evelyn after Oliver signaled for him to do so. Then he placed his arms around her gently and led her away into his car. She looked sad and silent so he remained silent as they rode back to her home.