20: Relax

"I'm very disappointed in your work!" Oliver boomed at his workers.

"You're the head workers, and you don't know how to keep the office in order before I return? Well, this is surprising cause you all are experienced and older." He continued as he stood towering over them in a meeting. They all hung their heads as the young CEO scolded them.

"We're sorry, sir." Mr. Benson said.

"Nevermind, I have to fix your negligence." He said in a thought-out tone before lowering himself to his seat with furrowed brows.

"Send the files through email Clara, gather the new workers, and let them go through training. James, Mr. Benson monitor the advertising team and the others. I'll fix this." Oliver said and they all answered with a "yes sir."

Oliver sat in the back seat of his black jeep enjoying his coffee as the car ride across the busy road under the bright afternoon sky. Tim was in the back seat with him while the driver took care of the wheel and Tom stayed in front.

As he sipped his coffee as he thought of ways he could make the profit rise. Tim watched his furrowed brows and though his lips were moving he wasn't uttering a word.

"Sir, Is everything okay?"

Oliver glanced at Tim, "yeah, just... just lost in thoughts." He sipped his coffee.

His phone started buzzing, he immediately reached for it but hesitated before picking it up, clearing his throat first thing.

"Father." He answered.

"Son, when would you be free today?"

"At exactly 8 pm ST Louis time, Sir," Oliver responded as quickly as the question came.

"Well then be expecting my call, we need to talk."

Oliver swallowed hard, *What did I do this time? I haven't ruined my life yet and I'm still alive, that must be the problem.

He rolled his eyes, "yes sir."

"Hm." The line went off.

*I would like to tell you something Father, you need a proper correction on your manners. And maybe just let go of ME!

Oliver put his coffee away feeling anxious about what his father wanted to say. *Did he find a wife for me so soon?

"Should I get rid of it?" Tim asked and Oliver just nodded with a second thought.

That evening Oliver arrived at Mr. Peter's home and was greeted by Evelyn in red denim glasses and hair all the same. She wore bracelets today and looked nearly as ugly.

"Dad would be down a bit, feel at home," Evelyn said as she fed her cat.

Some Japanese animé was playing on the large screen, Oliver found it childish and stupid but the time he spent with Evelyn made him realize she was childish and sometimes stupid.

"You seem perfectly fine." She said to him while watching.

"I'm fine. Though I would come out of my ego, and say a giant." He cleared his throat. "Thank you for coming to visit. It must have taken a lot of your time and energy but I felt it contributed to my healing."

Evelyn looked shocked at his confession, "uh..." She smiled forcefully.

"I would like to compensate you for your kind action, Ms. Evelyn. If you would accept my offer of course. I would take you out for dinner during the evening." He said.

Evelyn rolled her eyes, "Mr. Money bag, I'm not interested in fancy restaurants." She stretched her arms.

Oliver raised a brow, what kind of lady would refuse a fancy ride and dinner? Evelyn of course, Ms. Denim!

He cleared his throat, "fine, where do you want us to go? In a theater?"

Evelyn shook her hair, "is not a date. Pool." She grinned.

Oliver almost cringed at the world, "ask me the world and I'll give it to you, but not the pool." He reached to touch his old wound just to make sure it was real and his refusal was well backed.

"Ah, sorry. We could go to the zoo."

Oliver stared at her with a blank face when she mentioned it. But he couldn't refuse.

"Sure." He smiled tightly.

"Oliver!" Mr. Peter exclaimed as he walked the stairs.

Oliver turned around to face him with a polite smile, "looking good, sir." He said.

"I don't think so, but this should be because my little peanut encourages me to shave and exercise." He laughed.

Evelyn blushed in embarrassment.

"Evelyn told me you were ill, how do you feel now?"

"I'm better sir, thank you."

"You shouldn't overwork yourself though, you might want to take a break."

"No sir, I have stayed in bed enough, time to sow," Oliver said firmly.

"Very determined huh, but relax on your tax, I'll do the same with your teachings. Son, you shouldn't act like you have five mouths to feed, it is good to let work rest and take time off. I always say that to my son. And you're a very hard-working young man, your parents must be blessed to have you. And if you intend to keep your charm, work less and explore more for now. If not, you'll be old before your time." Mr. Peter lectured.

"I'll try, sir."

Mr. Peter nodded as he threw his arms around Oliver and led him away. Oliver felt relaxed under his arm compared to his usual attitude when held or advised.

*Evelyn is blessed to have such a parent.

Throughout the evening Mr. Peter educated Oliver on learning to relax as a businessman because that's when many innovative ideas flow in, a tight mind can't receive. Oliver was very eager to know how it works, his father had taught him a different thing.

Mr. Peter spoke to him wisely and less like an instructor, he spoke to him more like a friend and maybe a father.

"Oliver, I was serious when I told you to take a break." Mr. Peter said during the lecture.

Oliver looked away, "I'm doubtful, I was raised in a different way, sir. My father believes in hard work, and less holiday."

Mr. Peter frowned, "I know Chris. His principles are a bit rigid but I believe he sent you to me to learn which is exactly what I'm giving to you."

Oliver nodded, "yes sir." He glanced at the picture on the wall. It was a picture of Evelyn when she was a kid, Chris, Peter and a woman he guessed was Evelyn's mother.

She looked like Evelyn but didn't leave her hair in afro like her daughter.

"Sorry if I'm too curious, but is that Evelyn's mother in the picture?"

Mr. Peter smiled sadly, "yeah, she sadly passed away when Evelyn was 5, and it affected Evelyn, of course, I have no idea on how to bring up a female child, and I couldn't fall in love with another woman. That's a long story."

Oliver nodded, "Sorry, I brought distraction to your teachings."

Mr. Peter nodded before resuming the teaching.

Fam! How do you think this story is going? So far is a lot I have written have you picked your characters yet?

Comment and add to your library.

Vote.