54: Bad news

During this time of the day, most people were huddled up in their pillows enjoying a good sleep under their warm blankets. Winter was around the corner, it was the perfect time to get cozy and warm. Unfortunately, Evelyn was not part of those relaxed minds, she was in the waiting room along with Chris, her brother, and Tim, all looking anxious and worried about the upcoming news. It was a deep silence and a half mourning with a frail hope. 

The ambulance had taken Oliver whose pulse was weak according to the paramedics and they won't let Evelyn know any further information. She was dying inside knowing he was battling for his life, Tim had explained to her what happened earlier.

"Hey, we need to go home now," Chris whispered to Evelyn amid the silence and she shook her head. 

"I want to know what's happening," she mumbled in a raspy voice, tired from crying, her voice rough and heavy. 

"Okay." Chris reluctantly agreed. 

Steven walked in, having heard the news he hurried out of his hotel room and took the next cab, he was reluctant to call his parents but he knew he must do so, he had planned on dropping by the next day to help Oliver explain to his parents why he kept everything a secret and why he took the decision himself, but he would be doing it all by himself and to top it he has to do it immediately with the fatal incident. 

"Tim, Evelyn." Steven started with his brows pulled together anxiously. "Any information?" 

"No, they've been in there trying to extract the bullet, before they can move to the transplant," Tim explained. 

"I'd call mother and father to let them know now, I hope she doesn't pass out," Steven muttered while pinching the bridge of his nose with his eyes shut. 

The emergency light was shifted off and the doors split open letting out the doctor alongside his nurse, he was a man in his forties with baby blue eyes and a forehead with frown lines like waves. 

"Doctor Joseph." Steven presented himself in front of the man who was taking off his mask, Evelyn, Chris along with Tim shot up with their eyes filled with distress fixing the man who managed to drag his gaze to Steve. 

"The patient received a bullet in his chest and it touched his heart. Blood leaked into his stomach and we had to insert a tube to drain the blood, and he had so many damaged blood vessels. The most important and vital part is his damaged heart tubes, which allowed blood to leak. We need to change his heart so we can't repair the damage. The surgery was scheduled for tomorrow, our doctor from India would be here, and the heart is available and in store." Doctor Joseph narrated. 

"But the mortality rate is high, because of the fresh damage to his vessels from the bullet. I mean," he paused, "he has slim chances of survival. It is almost futile to do the heart transplant, you all ought to pray for a miracle." 

Steven nodded, "we all have to." He said to the doctor with a hand going down his face. Doctor James gave them a sad look before walking off. 

Steven turned to Evelyn and Chris, "let's get you back home, you need to rest, you saw enough for today." He said particularly to Evelyn, who refused to nod and just stared at his feet instead. Chris sighed before helping her up. 

"It's okay, sir. We'll take a cab, I bet you've got other business to solve." Chris said. 

"I hope you don't mind." 

"No I don't, and neither does she." He spoke in a tired and sad tone before nodding everyone goodbye and walking off slowly with Evelyn who was hugging him. 

Steven sighed deeply as he reached for his phone, he tried Oliver's home phone. The link rings a few seconds before a female voice fills his ear drums. 

"Hello." 

"Olivia?" 

"Uh, yes, who are you?" 

"It's Steven, is mother home?" He sniffed. 

"Yeah, she has been trying to reach Oliver and Tim but they're not picking their calls, she has been fusing and talking about the sharp pain she feels on her chest. Father is in his room waiting for Oliver to return silently. Why do you ask? I thought you were in another town?" She ranted lightly trying to steer up a conversation. 

"Call her, I have an emergency." 

"Uh, okay…" She trailed off. "Mrs. Thomas!" She shouted. 

Steven could hear head hills on the stairs descending quickly, she must be thinking it was good news, then her voice filled the microphone. 

"Steven, did you find your brother? I can't reach them, and God, I just want him to be safe. He left after a dispute with your father. He was upset, your father had hit him again. And, why isn't he responding? I'm feeling a pain in my chest. I hope he doesn't." She blurted rapidly, Steven didn't know how he could announce this to her, she probably forgot that he shouldn't be in ST. Louis but with his wife and son. However, he had to get it out. 

"Mum, Oliver won't be coming home today, not tomorrow I don't know when." Steven started. 

A long pause came from the other line before she stuttered words back to the line. "H-how? No, he i-isn't, No." She responded according to her imagination, of course, she was imagining the worst. 

"No mum, don't worry. He is in the hospital. You might want to drive here with Father. He needs you more than ever and he needs you to be strong for him." Steven said and immediately his words were followed by sobs. 

"W-what happened?" She choked. 

"H-he was shot in the chest, the man was apprehended by Tim and he is in jail now. The police would give an update after. Mum, there is a lot I have to say I need you here okay?" Steve spoke softly and kindly to her, knowing she was very emotional and protective when it came to Oliver. 

"God! why?!" She cried out. 

"Mum, calm down! Please. Pull it together." Steve had to be a little firm to get her attention. 

"My baby! Please tell me he will be fine." She whimpered. 

"Mum, we need to remain positive." 

"I'm coming." She said before hanging up. 

"What is the shouting all about?" Christopher came down the stairs, stumbling on Olivia and his Ex with tears in their eyes, down their cheeks. 

Elizabeth marched up to him aggressively. "YOU FUCKING SUCCEEDED!" She blew up in tears. "Now he is dying! Are you satisfied?! I hope you're happy now! Idiot! You killed our son!" She wailed. 

"What do you mean? Who is dying, what the hell are you talking bout?!" Christopher became alerted, holding a deep frown. 

"O-Oliver got shot, and he is in the hospital, Steven just called. I hope you find your way there. He just texted me with the address." She tried to wipe her tears with shaky hands, while pulling her emotions together. 

"How did this happen?" He questioned. 

"Don't ask me, just put something on and do what you have never done before, support him." She looked dead in her ex eyes with a killer stare before her hair flipped as she turned around marching out with her purse. 

Olivia follows her reluctantly. 

Next chapter is coming soon. 🙂
Sorry for the late post I had school and work.