28: She knows now.

Under the rays of the gentle sun, Evelyn sat side by side with Madison sipping her cocktail when her eyes scanned the words printed on the white paper, it smelled like literature as she flipped through chapters getting further into the written world of fiction.

Madison sipped her cup of cocktail as she stared across the pool. "He must be damned." She muttered in a husky voice.

"I guess after all that happened, I'll never go back to dating Kendrick."

"Do you like him? I mean Oliver." Madison asked out of the blue, bringing her gaze to Evelyn's face, though Evelyn was reading a line in her novel. Evelyn looked up, meeting her curious impenetrable black orbs in the darkness of her iris. It was like staring at a round fascinating black bead, she had little lashes and a light brow, the perfect characteristics of a Chinese.

"No, I don't." Evelyn replied also, trying to convince her inner cat monster who wanted nothing but to be seated next to Oliver listening to his emotionless voice speak with a pause in his sentence cause he didn't speak much, and his dull hazel eyes watching the horizon like he had a million thoughts going on. So many emotions displacing through his multicolored window yet not even one would be expressed. He keeps shutting, she thinks he is broken deep in his spirit. But not beyond repair.

"You know you can tell me I'm your best friend," Madison said scouting closer as she brushed her lustrous black lock, looking sharp in the shape of a bob cut behind her ear. She had won a purple baseball cap that she turned around, so she looked more like a boy.

Evelyn let out a sigh of contentment, before closing her book not after placing a pencil in the passage she was reading. "I think he is cute she confessed,"

Madison smiled in a crooked manner, with amusement in her eyes. "He has long eyelashes, he must be cute when he cries, and goodness," she purred, "he has the statue of an anime! He looks stunning and beautiful, I know is not the vocabulary for a man, but gal! He looks gorgeous. I know that." She nodded to herself.

Evelyn rolled her eyes, feeling a pang of jealousy, but decided to brush it off. "Yeah, but he is very grumpy, never gonna give a smile for nothing, even for something, he is always serious, as we speak he is on a trip to China, Japan, and Russia. He is good with the violin and piano, he says he plays other instruments too, he is bad at sports and only rides horses play golf, and plays chess. He can be funny sometimes, it requires a brain to understand his jokes and his actions." She let out a laugh, and Madison's smile broadened.

"You're in love honey." She bluntly revealed.

"No, I don't love him, he is cute but a workaholic." She defended while adjusting her glasses.

"He is bad though." Madison topped in reaching for her cocktail.

"No he isn't, he is used to never voicing his thoughts and always being formal, that's why he sounds rude and all."

Madison nodded, "I understand better why you shut the group of revenge against Mr. Money bag." She joked.

Evelyn blushed, and to make up for it she pulled her book to pretend while Madison just laughed.

*Oliver doesn't like me. He should have a crush on Olivia.

*******

Evelyn rose from her bed with a novel in her left hand, pages dangling as she went over the lines, she went down the stairs her gazes not letting go of the book, Altoro was just a second to slaying his demons in the following lines.

She gasped while fetching water for herself. The demons won't let him go. She brought the cup to her lips and gulped the water before wiping her lips while staring at the book all the while. She returned to the stairs almost bumping into Oliver and her father.

"Woops," she lowered her book before giving way she tried returning her readings only to look back at Oliver's pale face. *Something was not right.

Her father stood in the center of the living room, a hand on Oliver's shoulder, "Are you sure you'll make it home son? I don't mind if you stay here for the night." He advises in a low tone almost similar to a whisper.

Oliver shook his head stubbornly, "I'll rather retreat to my penthouse, I'm deeply sorry if I interrupted our section today. That's not polite of me." Oliver said looking exhausted and drained, his voice was dead and clear but almost slurring.

"Nonsense! You got back from a long trip just yesterday and you were already back with your activities. I would have loved it if you had canceled your section with me today, stop working yourself up, and forcing your mind and body to bear more than they can." Peter scolded the youngster.

"Yes sir," Oliver nodded along.

Oliver turned around and so did Mr. Peter, their gazes fell on Evelyn who was hovering on the stairs eavesdropping, she allowed her to gaze to wander everywhere except at them.

"I would like you to visit me tomorrow for our projects, we have lagged for too long and this might have a terrible comeback." Oliver spoke in a dead tone, his hazel eyes fixing her seriously.

"You're at it again, relax." Peter jumped in.

Oliver sighed, "I...I'll try." he trailed. "Goodnight Miss Jones." He said before turning around and starting for the door.

Tim and his bodyguards appeared before him, Oliver seemed to be staggering, she watched his slow steps till he was out of the door and her father was standing in the doorway. A faint thud could be heard followed by her father pronouncing Oliver bristly before hasting out. Evelyn felt her heart flip; she ran out only to be presented with a heart-wrenching scene, Oliver was passed out cold on the ground as Tim, the other guys and her father crowd him.

The scene was quick to disappear as they were sitting on the hospital bench waiting for Oliver to be brought out of the emergency room, it was late the sky had grown darker and was presented in a royal blue with no moon, she worried for him even with her book in her hands she was no longer interested in finding out how Altoro's demons were defeated.

She had no idea why he was always passing out, but she was eager to know, he took pills all the time, and when she had asked he bluntly told her they helped him stay on his feet.

The light on the red LED went off and the door parted open just enough to let the doctor out. "Who is the representative of Mr. Brooke?" he had asked and Mr. Peter and Tim showed up. They left with him to discuss in his office. Soon the nurses were riding the bed out. Oliver was alive but looked dead asleep.

She followed them to his room, he was laying there helpless looking pale and tired even in his sleep. She had no idea what was going on, she knew he was in pain but couldn't set her hands on it.

Soon her father and Tim joined her with Steven and Emma who had hurried to the hospital after the call. "Eve, let's go home now, and leave them to him." He said to her,

After a final thanks from Steven they left, on getting to their car, she took the wheels, "What is wrong with him, dad?" She asked cautiously, sounding worried.

"Your friend has got a hole in his heart, and surgery would be needed to fix it, the doctor narrated to us his refusal to undergo surgery, though it is not an emergency yet it can soon become one. He is on loads of pills that are slowly fading and not working. He advised his stress level be reduced. But we both know him, at a young age he is striving so hard even with his wealth."

Evely wrapped her fingers around the wheel her joint hurt, *He couldn't die.

"I'll try to talk him into getting one before it is too late. He is too young and *too cute to die," She nodded to herself before sighing with courage. She was convinced he wasn't stubborn.

Hello my dear favorite people, I have been caught up with college work and was not able to write as much but I'm doing my best. I will try to update often.