17: A stern childhood

"I cried. Father ordered the butler to escort me to my room while he fixed my mess. For years I was teased about it by my siblings, cousins, and even kids at school. Throughout that summer I was confined to my room and my study after receiving a severe punishment." 

Evelyn held a frown. "For so little?" 

Oliver rolled his eyes, "I grew up in a very strict family." 

"It was funny till we got to the end. I don't think you deserved that harsh punishment." 

Oliver shook his head, "The first time I met him I was 6, my parents had left me in a boarding school when I was 4, and I spent a few years there before I was brought in again. And was introduced to my parents and my siblings. The first few years it was very hard for me cause I had to know different rules and care from what I had experienced. When I turned 8, all focus was on me, I had so many instructors and a bigger study, my Father had already begun executing his plans for me as his heir after elder my sister passed away, as for my two older brothers they were too grown and had already made their minds on what they wanted and Mother was siding them. I became used to his harsh words, treatment, rules, and atmosphere. I read and obtain the best results in school, I went for quizzes, and academic competitions and won. My Father would sign me up for any competition that involved the brain. I had so many instructors than I could count. My only escape was those pages I flipped when confined to my study. I couldn't fail, I was not allowed to, I only failed a few times and the consequences were terrible." He paused Evelyn had tears welled up in her eyes but tried to hide them as she listened. 

"I was not born smart, I was forced to become smart. Because I was born for the purpose of my parents. They didn't decide to have me out of the blue. My father had repeated that over and over again. I was not in their plans. They decided to have me for an emergency and they were right. They're right." He repeated in a mutter. 

"Why don't you tell them how you really feel about what they're forcing you into? I mean you don't want this." 

Oliver frowned, "I didn't say I don't like it now. I seriously don't give a damn about speaking. I'm good in my skin, that's what matters." He said, Evelyn, caught a hint of sadness in his tone. All of a sudden it became clear to her. Oliver was turned into an overly smart and mature teenager, he didn't desire it, he was bound and cast into it, and his parents shaped, and molded him to become their perfect son. And he had never complained. The many times he had yelled at people were not from him but his inner frustration. He was living a lie. 

Evelyn smiled. "I understand Mr. Money bag. How about we start with a Disney movie, question and answer is over for today." Evelyn suggested. 

"I'm not sure about watching Disney. Why don't I read the series instead?" 

"Aw, come on, Mr. Money bag." Evelyn bugged. 

Oliver rolled his eyes while brushing a strand of hair behind his ear. 

A soft knock cut into their conversation and Oliver ordered whosoever to come in. 

Mrs. Clare walked in with a tray containing a glass of water, a bottle of pills, and a plate of salad. Evelyn watched the expression on Oliver's face, it was of pure disgust. 

"Sir, it is time you take your pills and have your lunch." She said,

Oliver nodded as he reached for the tray, he took the pills first, without protest which was surprising to Evelyn. She tried to imagine if he had ever protested about taking pills before like a normal person. 

"You need to take a nap, in two hours sir, I'm afraid Miss Ada, you'll have to leave soon." 

Evelyn nodded while Oliver looked like he was about to give his piece of mind but decided against it. Mrs. Clare left the room and Oliver sighed while running his hand on his face. 

"Are you okay?" She asked. 

"I don't think you should be preoccupied with me." He said. 

"Ah, sorry. She pulled out her phone connecting to Disney. We're going to watch Hercule." 

Oliver nodded without a word as he forced the salad down his throat, Evelyn saw it and didn't say a word about it. He continued fighting the food down his throat each time. 

Oliver seemed to enjoy the show, as he had never thought cartoons were so entertaining. Evelyn laughed when she glanced at his expression while he watched. He looked totally engrossed like he was seeing cartoons for the first time. She could have sworn she got a glimpse of the 7 years old who was a fan of rats and mice, what a good and innocent time it was before his parents crushed it. 

Soon it was time she left, Oliver was already fast asleep, peacefully laying his head on his pillows. Evelyn had never seen a cute and beautiful sight, it was like staring at a newborn, Oliver was a different person when he was asleep. He looked like the most innocent young man in the world. 

She cooed softly before scribbling a note and leaving. 

Mrs. Clare was walking her way up the stairs when she met Evelyn. "I'm heading home ma'am, Oliver is fast asleep." 

Mrs. Clare looked surprised, "sir, never sleeps without a sleeping pill." 

Evelyn frowned lightly, "why?"

"He had always suffered from insomnia, during his childhood years, I received the reports as such."

Evelyn nodded, *Poor boy. She bid her goodbye to Clare and started towards the exit, the house was massive and beautifully decorated. Yet it was so empty, just like the windows of Oliver's soul. And the expression on his face. A pure example of void and a caged spirit. 

She opened her group chat as she stepped out of the property. 

Cherry: it didn't go as planned. 

Mady: we might want to change plans. And the police are on our trail. 

Alan: I suggest we stay put for the moment. We still have more time to act. 

Evelyn: I don't think it is necessary, we'll just let him be. We almost killed him. Whoever was recording should delete it right away. The police may come after us.

Cherry: We'll go to jail? 

Alan: No. 

Evelyn dips her phone into her denim pocket. Oliver was not as bad as she thought, he was more like every other villain including maleficent. Something caused his current attitude and that was his family members. 

Evelyn nodded to herself. "Just a little push." She smiled. He doesn't have to know. 

Hi guys, another update within the same time frame. Hope you'll make out the most in this novel. Everything is getting twisted.

Comment and vote.