43: Just one kiss

He has just left his office in Zilda having visited Ida. It was evening and he was yet to do his paperwork. He had asked Evelyn to meet him in some restaurant, he had been planning this special meet-up for two weeks, and he kept delaying the correction on the project just to keep her close, he was ready to spill the beans, to express his feelings for her.

"To the restaurant?" Tim asked.

Oliver grunted without glancing at him. They got into the car and Tim drove off.

Oliver's phone buzzed with a message that he ignored because he was not ready to speak to any partner or ambassador. He held a straight face, his anxiety locked within his mind and his body playing indifferent, he couldn't help but wonder back to his nightmare, would she reject him?

If he didn't take the step now he would never do it.

His phone kept buzzing, and Oliver just ignored it.

They pulled over to the restaurant and Oliver got out, he sucked in the fresh air and relaxed. As he stepped in he went straight to his reserved table, Evelyn was nowhere in sight. He sat still sighing in his palm, *what if she sensed it and didn't come just to dump him?

Oliver received yet a series of messages with his phone vibrating, "damn it." He muttered under his breath through gritted teeth as he looked at the screen.

*Unknown contact:

He opened the messages.

Oliver Tomlinson Brooks, today is your last.

I'll get to you faster than you can think.

Your body guard won't save you.

You're in danger, RUN!

Oliver frowned deeply, he looked up at Tim who was facing the entrance and was about to call him when he was interrupted by a sigh.

"Sorry, I'm late. I had to finish shopping with Madison." She smiled.

"Is okay." Oliver reached for the documents in his suit and handed it to her, "Done."

She reached for it carefully before examining it. "Mm, we need to reduce the formality here." She said,

"Why?" Oliver frowned innocently.

"We don't want her to think we got this from an AI." She teased.

Oliver sighed, "go ahead." He rested in his chair before pulling his phone out, he typed a short message to Tim.

"Someone is after me. I just got this death message. So pathetic." He sent the message with a light scowl, when Tim read it he became more alerted.

Evelyn kept pointing out parts he had to change and from there they discussed stuff, Oliver could not slip his request in.

Tim leaned in to whisper to Oliver, "we need to leave now, it is not safe, I can detect too many suspects." He whispered and Oliver nodded before raising up.

"It's been two hours, why don't we drop you off?" He offered.

Evelyn looked startled. "Sure if you don't mind." She smiled, her smile set his heart racing.

He nodded with a smile. Tim escorted them out with his hand resting on his gun, they got into the bullet proof car and drove away in the dark night. It was yet to be 8pm.

Tim held a worried expression a few minutes into the road he swiftly pulled over in a nearby bush, "Stay calm, I have to, uh, pee." He came up with a random excuse before leaving, giving Oliver a serious look.

It was just him and Evelyn in a car with no lights, Tim didn't switch it on.

"He is weird." Evelyn pointed.

"He went to check on the people following us, I got a death message a few hours ago, the last time I got a persistent threat I ended up with a fractured arm. It better not be the same person."

Evelyn gulped softly, she knew she had nothing to do with the recent death message but the previous one, sure. "You're so famous and popular, what do you expect?" She rolled her eyes.

"I don't know, love?"

She quickly brought her gaze to his face, "what do you mean?" She interrogated with heated cheeks.

"Evelyn," he cleared his throat, "I'm in love with you that's it," he stated. "I don't know if you would call it crush or romance. I just feel that chemistry when you're around." He explained.

Evelyn just stared with wide eyes, "I?" It sounded like a question to the hysteric girl inside her.

"Do you feel the same?" He asked while staring deep into her honeycombs the same ones he had met in the elevator and it was a clash. Today he saw his reflection in them and he was totally in love.

Evelyn blinked, "I uh, I don't-" before she got to finish his lips crashed softly on hers, like butterfly wings she felt his gentle kiss, on her lips, it sent sparks through his body and she felt it too, all she could do was tune in. The kiss got deeper still holding its gentleness, Oliver was the first to pull away. He needed to stop before it got too far, Tim could walk in on them or worse their killers.

"O-Oliver," she stuttered.

He smiled when he grabbed her hands affectionately. "You can reject me, I'll understand, I have too many flaws and it would take a special woman the bone of my bone to love me, you know my flaws." He squeezed her hands gently.

"I love you too, stupid. Lemme finish the sentence. You rejected yourself." They both laughed softly.

Oliver's smile could only widen as Evelyn leaned in for another kiss. This one was short, and lovely.

"So we're dating now?" She asked in the silence of the car.

"Yup, I'm yours and you're mine. My heart is in your hands now." Oliver said passionately. " I don't know what will happen to us now, but if a point comes when I mess up, please forgive me, cause I'll never do anything to hurt your beautiful heart." He kissed her hand gently.

She smiled, "I will." She hugged him and he hugged back. They sat there in peace wishing their stories would end like in Disney, "happily ever after."

A knock on the glass drew their attention. It was Tim, Oliver unlocked the car and Tim appeared to be blooded, he had a cut on his cheekbone, and blood on the white shirt he wore beneath his suit. Oliver didn't look surprised.

"We have a lady in the car try to look decent after your fun please." He teased, Evelyn laughed while Tim shook his head.

"As you wish sir." He rolled his eyes mentally.

Aw, isn't this beautiful, people? What a story, and the END! Happily ever after.

Lolll did you believe me? *Scoff*

*Drum rolls*

This is the beginning of his fall from the cliff.