48: Hidden truth

Tim held the door for Oliver to come out which he did, he looked frail and exhausted, Tim watched him closely like he would collapse like he did without warning once again. If he had not intervened Oliver would be bearing a nasty head injury. After he passed out he was taken to the office infirmary where he regained consciousness and was forced to go home by his crew members and Tim himself. 

"Do you need assistance?" Tim asked when Oliver placed his hand on the balusters. 

"No thanks," Oliver grunted. 

Tim helped him with the door as he got in. He stopped dead in his tracks when he spotted her. She smiled at him. 

"Darlin dearest!" His mother rushed to him and pulled him in a hug. 

"Mother? Why didn't you inform me?" Oliver started but was hushed by her. 

"Doesn't your mother have free access to her son's house?" 

"I didn't mean it like that. I mean, when did you arrive and I could have sent Tom to fetch you or Garry. I don't like the idea of you coming here all by yourself." Oliver explained. 

She walked him to the sofa and made him sit. "I came yesterday morning, I waited for you but you were not back until late so I went to bed, I got up this morning only to find out you have gone to work." She narrates while brushing her locks behind her ears. 

"My sincere apology, Moher. I had to finish some things at work." He went further to justify. 

"I don't like that work of yours, you're still a kid you don't have to work so much." She lectured. 

Oliver sighed while rubbing a hand on his face. "Look at your poor baby, you look so exhausted." She felt his forehead with her hand. 

"You don't have a fever. But you look so tired." She searched his eyes for a sign which she didn't obtain. 

"I'm fine." Oliver broke eye contact and stared at the pool instead. 

"Has your father been putting pressure on you?" 

Oliver rose to his feet without a word, then he answered. "No, it is not like he is choking me underwater or something. I'm fine, don't you worry mother." Oliver spoke kindly to her. 

"Tom," he called one of his bodyguards who presented himself. 

"I want you to be by my Mother's side day and night, and make sure she is comfortable and well-managed." He instructed. 

"Yes sir," Tom responded

Oliver ran a hand through his curls. "I'll retreat to my office now, I still have to supervise my crew. And I'm traveling to Cuba tomorrow." Oliver tried to sound as composed and less pressured as he was. 

"Cuba? Why do you bother son?" Elizabeth rose from her seat, now having concern all over her face. 

"Is okay mother, I'll be fine. I'll see you in a bit." He pecked her on the cheek before walking off. Elizabeth is left standing with more worry than she could bear. She had always feared Oliver would choose work and money over his health and the symptoms are visible. 

Oliver shut his office door before going over to his laptop and desk chair, he slid in and began reviewing his schedules and more. Just then his phone started buzzing so he reached for it rubbing his temple in an effort to calm the headache. 

"Oliver? Are you okay?" Evelyn's worried voice came from the other line. 

"Yeah, sorry." 

"What happened? You just went off, are you okay?" She sounded panicked.