Chapter 26 ~ Thank You

"Home is wherever I'm with you"

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

"How was your day?" Sakura asked, stretching out her arms infront of her.

"Alright."

"Did you want to say anything to me?"

Silence.

Walking further slowly, Sakura stopped. Thoughts swirled around her mind. She was tired, she was cold and more over, confused.

It was a silence she would usually have ignored, but it felt like a continuous loop. Coming to the hospital to walk her home, letting her accompany him on his travels, sharing meals together...it all wasn't nothing. Sasuke always acted with reason, or maybe he was comfortable with her that it now didn't necessarily mean anything.

"Okay look, I don't know what you want, well I think I have an idea, but my mind doesn't want to go over anything because I dont want to cross any lines but..."

He sucked in a chilling breath of air, letting her speak.

"There's so many things I want to do with you. I want to see new places, and discover new things. I want to fight with you and then have lunch together. I just...."
I want to be with you. The words didn't escape her lips though.

"You want to fight with me?" Sasuke asked, tilting his head to the side, the corner of his mouth turning upwards.

Sakura narrowed her eyes at him. She'd rather him be amused than not say anything right now so she went along with it.

"Hell yeah."

He glanced down at her, thin tendrils of hair escaped for her ponytail giving off a windswept look from the hours that work had stolen off her day.

Sakura looked exhausted and he knew she was diverting the conversation so he could get his footing and be comfortable with what he was supposed to be doing.

What was he supposed to do?...

"This isn't fair on you..."

"What do you mean?" She asked stopping infront of him, furrowing her eyebrows slightly. "You saw how I strong I am now, what isn't fair abou-"

Sasuke cut her off, shaking his head. "No, I know you are. I am being unfair to you."

Oh. Were they going to have this talk?

Sakura shook her head. She felt bad for even bringing that up now. She remembered what she had told herself when the war ended. Time would run its course, and she would let the ball be on his side of the court. She would let him come to her this time, and if he didn't, she'd just have to accept it for what it was.

But recently it felt different. He felt different. It was as if their dynamic was changing, and they both could see that. It was something.

"You deserve more than to wait for me."

"If this is about what I said, I didn't mean to push you." She said, waving her hands infront of her, creating a space between them.

"It isn't.

"Then why..."

They had already stopped walking midway through, and the subtle air and direction of conversation surely shook her awake.

"Sakura...I have a hard time turning how I feel into words."

She waited patiently for him to continue.

"I don't want you to have to always second-guess everything. And I know I'm making this difficult for you."

He knew that look on her face, he knew what it meant. 'Don't say that...I understand.'

"No amount of sorrys would suffice for everything I've put you through. I am selfish for holding on to you while pushing you away."

She could feel her eyes glassing up, a tight clutch at her heart with each passing second.

"You've made so much of your life. It makes me question what I'm doing with mine or what I can do." Sasuke said honestly. "I want to do better, for me. Then I can be someone to you."

"Sasuke, you are always enough to me. But, I understand." She replied softly.

The Uchiha had thought over and over about everything. He had been the one constantly hurting her, yet she was always there, ready to heal the damage of him and her. He wondered what his younger self would think of how carelessly he had treated her.

Before the added evils of the world consumed him, he had found himself putting his teammates above his own being. He couldn't stand the idea of anyone close to him being hurt, but he had been the one wielding the sword.

"I don't know if I can give you all the happiness you deserve, but I know I'll always keep coming back to you..."

A thin finger reached up, trailing along the corner of her eye, wiping away the lone tear threatening to fall.

He wanted to never experience the ache of seeing her cry because of him again. Countless number of times as passed, countless moments stored with memories he felt too shameful to try to forget.

The edges of her lips lifting, biting back a meek smile.

"Thank you for telling me how you feel."

Thank you for always listening, and hearing me even when I don't say anything.

Next to him, she felt so much like an adult, capable and glowing in assurance of herself. He liked this look on her...it made him feel...proud.

"Today, it was such an overwhelmingly busy day. Now it's strangely so peaceful. I want us to talk through anything, okay?"

"I thought you wanted to fight?" He shot back, making her break into smile. Was he really teasing her right now?

Glancing at the distance between them, she looked back at him, taking a step forward before stopping midway.

"Can I hug you?"

His gaze lowered, granting permission which had an immediate effect.

Long limbs slipped around his torso, hands clasping together at the back. Her forehead rested against his chest, the sound of his heart reminding her this was real.

Sasuke's lone arm stayed at his side, unsure how to respond to unfamiliar warmth seeping through his body. Slowly he leaned his chin down ontop of her head. He closed his eyes, feeling her grip tighten around him.

This felt right.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Authors note

Hiii guyss 🥺 I am terribly sorry I made you all wait so long for an update! And then the update is really short.🥲 (I say that as I wasn't the one who decided it-)
Anyways, if you've still got this book in your library, thank you so much for staying with me!

Also, happy nine years of BTS 💜

Posted on
13 June 2022