Chapter 10 ~ The Sand

"Mama come here. Approach, appear.
Daddy I'm alone cos this house don't feel like a home.
If you love me, don't let go."

•••

"Hai, Hokage-Sama. The mission went well." Sakura reported, straight after arriving back in her home village.

Kakashi Hatake set his cup of coffee down. It was late into the evening and he was pulling yet another all nighter with hopes of getting at least halfway through the over piled paperwork. And that was just the stack on his desk.

After briefing him on her mission she let out a sigh from exhaustion, but also curious if anyone would be able to tell she had just met her former teammate, and the once S-rank criminal earlier that day

Deciding to inform her once Sensi, she began. "So, I had run into Sasuke earlier..."

"Oh, is it?" He asked casually, looking up from his work.

She nodded in response, waiting for the third degree. But it never came.

"Any news? How is he doing?"

'Was that it?' She wondered. "None worth noting, he's in good health. He is still traveling." She informed, her mind going back to when he motioned so effortlessly for her to sit down. Ugh!

"Ah, as long as he's staying out of trouble." Kakashi joked light-heartedly, his eyes trailing back to the notes he had been reading over.

"Also, I didn't think you'd be back so soon but, I received word from The Sand, they harvested some sort of new plant. And they thought you would want to check it out for yourself - being so skilled in that area."

Sakura's eyes widened in fascination. "Have they mentioned anything about what is it like?"

He gave a sheepish smile. "You know by now, I have barely any knowledge of these things! Could've been grass for all I know!"

She let out a laugh, nodding in understanding.

"How long will I be gone for?" She asked.

"About a week or so, depends what happens there."

The smile she wore had dropped slightly at the thought of being away from the hospital for over a week, especially when it was still new. It just didn't feel right to have the staff take on her share of the work- no matter how long or short it would be.

"What's with that face, Sakura?" Her former Sensi asked, frowning.

"No, no, nothing!" She answered quickly.

"You know...Everyone is capable, they've been under your guidance after all."

How did he know she was worried about that? She didn't question it because after this long, it would actually be surprising if he didn't know.

And it wasn't a matter of capable or not, the pinkette trusted the hospital staff more than anything, but it was the matter of leaving behind work.

She opened her mouth to say something but was quickly cut off before getting the chance.

"Sakura." His voice not leaving room for question. "You work too hard. A little break would do you some good for you."

With that she bid goodbye. The night breeze brushing lightly against her bare arms.

Was this running away? 'Of course not!' she scolded herself for even thinking that way. Is that what Sasuke did? Of course he wanted to see the world, needing time for himself and healing. But even though he said it wasn't forever, and no matter how much she wanted to believe those words...there was still an ache saying otherwise.