Chapter 20~ The Coldness of the Night

"There's so much a man can do
And there's so much a man can say
See I have done so many things wrong
That you should've thrown me away."

••••••••••

Towards the afternoon, the sun disappeared faster than in Konoha, leaving a chilly breeze circulating which the locals seemed accustomed to.

On any other day Sasuke would've managed,  did his usual fireball jutsu and created some sort of heat to get through the night. However it wasn't just him he had to think of now, and despite the pinkettes protests that she was more than okay with camping outside, he wouldn't let it happen.

Taking advantage of the fact that they were in a town where small inns were available, the pair reached an old creaky building which was actually one of the nicer ones the area had.

They settled in for the time being, not really caring about how the place looked because anything was better than being out in the cold.

After quickly changing into her pajamas straight out of the much needed hot shower she had just taken, she tied up her hair.

She was alone in the room, when her thoughts began to roam.

Because even though she has acted as if nothing had happened earlier that day, her mind replayed the scene like being stuck in one of Itachis izanami.

"I didn't know which you wanted, so I got both." A voice came, interrupting her thoughts, as the door closed behind him.

Looking up she saw the raven holding a full brown paper bag from the eatery downstairs. She opted to be the one to go, but Sasuke knew if Sakura went, she would end up spending more time talking to the people than getting what she came for, not to mention he was hungry.

That, and he had left to give the pinkette some time to herself, there was only one bathroom and so he let her go first, also not wanting to accidentally bump into her then.

She needed to rest aswell, and although being used to this type of travelling, even he couldn't pass up a good night's sleep.

After eating there wasn't much to do since it was late and the inn they were staying at didn't have anything besides the basic necessities.

The Uchiha had gone to the bathroom, leaving Sakura at the foot of the futon she had left her bag on. The one just abit away from hers was Sasukes. She was grateful for the luck that they'd got a room for the night, but she couldn't help missing the weather back at home where it wasn't as cold as ice.

Pulling down the sleeves of her woolen sweater till it covered her hands, the only skin that showed has her face.

The sound of the shower running was oddly calming as she laid down onto the futon, over the blanket. Retrieving her phone from the charging spot, she sent a quick text to Ino asking how things were back home.

Closing her eyes, sleep didn't seem to want to find her despite being so tired. The creak of the door and light footsteps meant Sasuke was done in the bathroom and ready to sleep too.

Why did it feel like even though he was right next to her, he was still far away?

Jin's words from weeks ago, which should've been long forgotten resurfaced, and she thought back to her own response to his question.

'I just want him to be happy...no matter who he is with.'

She didn't want to rush or force anything. Just the fact that she was here next to him was proof they were making progress.