Chapter 9 ~ When I find myself

"I've walked a million miles
To chase down my own desires
Out of fire, sea and stone
Born to find that great unknown."

••••••••••••••

Sitting back at her table, except now opposite of her sat the one and only Uchiha.

"What are you doing here?" The raven asked, initiating the conversation.

Sakura didn't know how to react when she saw him, right there within her reach. She wanted to touch him to make sure it wasn't some kind of genjutsu or simply her mind playing games. But as he took steps closer she almost stopped breathing, until he walked past her and sat down in the chair across hers.

He looked back like it was the most ordinary thing, waiting patiently for her to take the hint and a seat too. Travelling was tiring after all, and Sasuke would never admit the definite exhaustion his feet were going through.

And it was nowhere on his schedule that he would meet his former teammate today.

The young adult quickly calmed and composed herself, especially her overthinking mind.

"I came here on a mission." She answered, eyes analysing every little detail about this moment, about the person sitting in front of her.

There were so many questions she wanted to ask. Where had he been? Why was he here? Did he see what the world had to offer? Was it enough? But she instead settled on asking, "And you? How are you?"

"Fine." He simply said, reminding her of the young boy he once was who barely kept up conversation.

He had definitely changed alot, and she couldn't help but be envious of his porcelain skin that despite being exposed to the elements and many fights, lacked barely if any blemishes.

Beauty and grace had definitely been generous to him, and one could argue he surely did get even more handsome over time.

Trying to shift her gaze on anywhere but at him, she soon realized that was impossible since she couldn't deny herself of the time she was given.

A young boy came to their table, placing a bowl of tomato soup in front of Sasuke.

Was this how they were supposed to meet again? An unexpected casual encounter in a distant village? Did he really even want to be here sitting across from her, or was he just being polite?

Pushing the thoughts to the furthest corners of her memory, the pinkette decided to focus on the person who took always residence in her mind.

Neither of them made an effort to make any movement. The hot steam from Sasuke's freshly ordered soup blew up onto his face, but he remained unfazed as if they both were frozen in their spots.

It was weird to say the least. Sakura had always imagined how they would meet again, what she would do and what she would say. Yet, here they were so close yet so far away apart.

"So...how is your travels?" She finally spoke up, breaking out of her trace.

After a while the Uchiha answered, before starring down at his meal as he lifted spoonful of soup to his mouth."It was eye opening."

"Which places did you go to?"

"So far, Kumogakure, a few other small towns along there and now, Hoshigakure."

Sakura's face lit up with nostalgia as she heard him say where he visited. "Kumogakure? The Village Hidden in the Mist?"

He nodded, reminiscently . A lot happened during the first time they had been to Kumogakure. It was the first proper mission Team 7 had gotten, where their unbreakable bonds began to form.

Oh how time passed by since then.

She watched patiently for him to continue as he finished the remaining soup.

"What's happening in the village now?" Sasuke asked, and she wondered if it was him either doing his best to try to keep up the conversation or just gathering information.

"It's pretty normal right now under Kakashi-sensi's care. Naruto and Hinata's wedding was a few weeks ago. We all missed you there." While telling him, she wanted him to know that they still thought of him even when he wasn't always there.

That he always had people who were waiting for him.

"You sent the note, right?" She questioned shyly, a few rebellious locks of her cherry blossom coloured hair fell infront of her face.

"Hn." Typical Sasuke response, she thought despite the tingling sensation she felt in her stomach with his confirmation that he did indeed instruct the hawk to deliver a note to her.

Lifting his hand to reach for a tissue from the neat box on the table next to the sauces, the pinkettes vision was grabbed by the other side of his shoulder where his poncho fell limply across where his arm once was.

"How is your arm? Did it heal completely now?" She asked, her brows knitting together in concern. Sasuke suddenly felt self conscious about the new attention. His lost limb was a reminder of the past which he was paying for in the future.

Both him and Naruto were offered prosthetic arms made from Hashirama cells by Tsunade, and while he denied because of time constraints and unwillingness. He wondered if his blonde friend was moving about much easier than he was. Would he ever allow himself to let go of the events that marked his soul?

"Yeah, it's fine now."

Sakura couldn't help worrying even when there was supposedly nothing to worry about. From the few first hand experiences he had witnessed with her, he mused that she was in medic mode right now.

Plus, it wasn't as if he couldn't use his Susanoo.

Noticing the dimming of light, he glanced at the window where he saw the sun was going down quicker than usual. Then back at the girl who seemed to understand from his expression that it was time to leave too.

"Sakura..." His voice dragged softly. She knew that tone and also where this was going.

"You have to get back on the road again, right?" She said with a small laugh, attempting to ease the tension.

He wasn't sure if it was the sadness or hurt or well, whatever it was that was present in her voice which prompted him to say what he did. "It won't be forever."

She looked up at him in surprise. Maybe even more than his own surprise that those words had left his mouth.

Her emerald green eyes wavered as she stared into his, searching for something she wasn't sure she'd find.

Being under her intense gaze made him feel uncomfortable as he shifted his weight from one foot to the other. But it was a strange type of uncomfortable, the good kind...if there were to be one. She was as sharp as a knife and her eagle eyes could notice everything, especially when it came to him.

"I know." Sakura said, matching his sincere tone while watching him adjust the brownish peach poncho that wrapped around him.

She imitated him as he stood up from the wooden chair.

"You be safe, okay!" The kunoichi warned playfully with a smile.

Her breath caught as he faced her, with the corners of his lips turning upwards in a small smirk.

"You as well."

That was one of the rare times they got together, just them. Sasuke and Sakura. And maybe next time they would be travelling together. The future was still uncertain and full of possibilities.

••••••••••••

Posted on 07 January 2020.

Hey guys! I hope everyone's all good.
I apologise for the lack of activity, I know I said I would update in December :(

Thank you for still reading this book.