Chapter 28 ~ Better Left Unsaid

When she woke up squinting out at the creeping sunlight, Sakura wondered if she had imagined the night before. Her head was resting on a pillow which was usually kept on the small window nook, and a thin throw blanket tucked across her body.

Stifling a yawn with the back of her hand, she scanned her apartment. No sign of him. Okay then. Neatly folding away the blanket, she made her way to the bathroom only to pause, noticing two mugs drying on the dish rack.

It appeared so strangely among all her usual single plate and cup. It felt good. Biting back a smile, the medic started off her day.

~~~~~~~

"Do you know how long you'll be gone for this time?" Sakura didn't want to put pressure on the Uchiha, but she was curious.

The pair walked along the familiar path towards Ichiraku Ramen to meet with Naruto and Hinata for late lunch. Sasuke was leaving tomorrow, so the group had decided to spend some time together before he left. He'd been standing outside the medic's residence as she stepped out of the doorway, a little surprised to see him.

She appreciated the casual effort he was making, from waiting for her after work, to coming to her house so they could walk together. It was already begining to feel like part of her daily routine, she didn't want to think about this feeling disappearing as subtly as it had begun.

"I'm not sure as yet." He remarked, glancing down at her. There really was a noticable height difference between the two of them now.

The familiar Ichiraku decorative lanterns came into view, and the two silhouettes present indicated their counterparts had already arrived. It had been a while since they had met up.

'Should we have asked Sai and Ino to join?' Sakura thought, remembering the sixth member of their team, Yamato being the fith addition.

"Hey!" Naruto exclaimed, eyes bright and chirpy. The two ladies exchanged embraces as Naruto threw his arm over Sasuke's shoulder. "Who's this guy, Sakura? Who did you bring?"

She laughed at his teasing, although this time she could understand why. "I almost didn't recognize you!" He said, daring to flick at the Uchiha's shortened hair, receiving only an eyeroll in response.

"Think I could pull off short hair?" Naruto asked jokingly, pressing down his own hair down. Hinata shook her head at her husband's antics as she took a seat.

Sakura sat down beside Hinata, leaving the spot next to Naruto available for the friends.

"I love your jacket!" Hinata complimented, patting the sleeve of Sakura's woolen jacket which was a warm yellow colour. "Thanks. I actually never get to wear it since I'm always at the hospital."

From the corner, Sasuke's eyes strayed to the Haruno insignia stitched at the back of her jacket. He had gotten used to her wearing his poncho during their travels, he hadn't even asked for it back yet. He doubted he would now.

Soon their food arrived and the group broke apart their chopsticks. Staring down at the food, Sasuke wondered when again would he have a meal like this. Sure there were plenty of little stalls and vendors, but they didn't taste like this. While he wasn't exactly the sentimental type, food in Konoha was just different.

"Slow down." Hinata urged her husband as he shovelled noodles into his mouth which quirked at the sound of her voice. "Ha! You're saying this!?

Sakura, did I ever tell you Hinata had actually beat me in a ramen contest!"

"Oh, really?" The medic asked, humoring Naruto's good-natured teasing as her friend's cheeks reddened at the sudden attention.

"It wasn't much of contest."