Chapter 27 ~ That's Enough

Sasuke walked down this road, one he knew all too well by now, mindlessly memorizing the cracks lining the worn down pavement. The only difference was that now it felt different. More purposeful. It led somewhere now.

Sasuke did not have to turn around to know the pink haired woman was still standing patiently, watching his retreating figure from her doorway.

The pair had walked back to her apartment, barely saying anything in the comfortable silence that enveloped them.

In the morning he had a scheduled meeting with the Hokage, his past Sensi. They had spoken earlier that week, and he already had an idea about what it might pertain to.

Shrugging off the thought, he stepped into the Uchiha Compound. It was bleek, grey and cold, partially destroyed. For some reason it never felt as unwelcome as it did right now.

Was he making the right decision? It had been so long since he had made a right one. He remembered being younger, much younger, sitting in the kitchen of their lively household, his mother peering down at him with kind eyes.

Back when time could afford for him to be mischievous and playful without the woes that would follow. He had been waiting for Itachi to come home to show him the new drawing he had done. After many smudged sheets of paper, he finally managed to contain all the colours he used inside the lines of the drawing. As perfect a drawing from an Uchiha child.

When Itachi finally arrived at the compoud, tired and beat from a full day of training with their father, the youngest sibling ran out in glee.

"Onii-san!"

Clutching the paper between his small fingers, he held it out in front of him. "Look what I did!"

The older Uchiha looked at his brother, raising up his hand to give him a tired smile and a quick pat on his head before going inside.

"Do you know what Itachi was doing at your age, Sasuke?" Sounded a voice from further in the courtyard.

"Father, I..."

Lowering the paper, he watched as his father went over to talk with one of their family members across from their house.

There was a small squeeze at his shoulder, and he noticed his mother staring down at him in her infamous apron that had the Uchiha insignia right at the center.

"Don't take your father's words to heart, okay."

He turned his head to the side, letting out a small sniffle. "Father is right...I need to train like brother is."

"Hey, you're doing your best. And just look at you! You're still growing!" She said, pinching the side of his cheek which was facing away from her. The matriach wasn't a big fan of her husband's tough love, but she knew he meant well. She would be there to soften the blow either way.

"Mooom." He drawled out, pressing his hand against his reddened cheek.

"You keep on trying at whatever you do, and that's enough in my book."

"What book?"

Mikoto's lips slid up in a grin at her youngest son's innocent curiousity. "Go on and call your brother, I've already set the table for dinner."

Back then, the only thing he really longed for was the approval of his father and brother. He found his brother's affection something that was given, he was well aware it was there. Sasuke didn't have to earn it like he tried to win his Father.

To him, and to everyone around him, Itachi always made good decisions. Beneficial decisions.

Until he didn't, and Sasuke felt his world idealism cave instantly.