Chapter 16 : Forgiveness

"I forgive you,
you know not what you have done
Oh I, I forgive you,
now it's time for me to move on."

•••

The month of February usually brought out everyone's winter clothes, and the cold air never ceased to bring a shiver along with it's early sun sets.

The pathway was lit up by lamp posts, creating a source of brightness other than that of the moon for the pair who seemed to be walking without a destination.

"So...are you staying here permanently?" The pinkette asked trying to make small talk without it being awkward.

'Permanently?'

That wasn't something he had given thought. Whether the Uchiha liked it or not, he knew eventually he would have to leave the village again.

His visual prowess which allowed him to open various portals into different dimensions were of highest importance. He had been taking leads wherever he'd found one, which often led him to some of the dingiest of places.

Places that didn't include Konoha.

"I'm not sure." He admitted honestly.

She didn't seem discouraged as he imagined from his answer. Instead she gave him a small smile.

"Well whatever you decide, Konoha is always here for you."

This conversation was overdue. He knew he owed it to her, especially after all the unsteadiness between them.

"All along, all I've known is that I was an avenger. I had one single purpose."

He actually had two. But he wasn't about to bring up the second one, especially with the creeping blush that would surely come from realizing just what he had meant when he said it at the mere age of 12.

The raven was still walking on, but Sakura couldn't help slowing down as he spoke about something she was almost certain he hadn't talked to with anyone.

"Sasuke-kun, you're not alone. You never were." She had stopped walking to face him. "Even while you had been away, we still stood by you, no matter where we were or what had happened."

"Why?" His forehead was wrinkled in frustration as he listened to her. Why would they do that? Why would anyone do that? Trying to save him was like not knowing how to swim but jumping in to help somebody else who was drowning.

Someone would surely sink, if the current didn't drag both of them down already.

"Because we're friends, and friends share their burdens. They don't give up on each other despite the circumstances."

Unfavorable circumstances indeed.

The pinkette thought about all the times she had almost given up on herself, but there always seemed to be someone encouraging to reignite the flame of hope she had burning inside of her.

"I'm sorry..."

He caught her by surprise at his sudden apology, her expression softening.