Chapter 36 ~Salt Air

It was midday when two knocks sounded on Sakura's door.

There were very few days when she got to dress up. While it was no doubt she loved her work, there was just a different sense of purpose that came with getting herself ready to be somewhere other than her job.
Unplugging the hair straightener, Sakura bubbled with excitement as she rushed out of the room.

The usual creak in the hinge was prominent as it swung open to reveal Sasuke leaning against the doorframe. White pants paired with a fitted pale blue shirt that clung tighter than usual to his torso.

"Hi." Sakura greeted, almost shyly as she took in his appearance. It looks like she wasn't the only one who put more effort into their outfit today.

"Come on." He said, waiting patiently for her to grab her things.

Sasuke instantly noticed the sparkly makeup applied at the corners of her eyelids, which became more prominent when she smiled up at him. To be honest, he wasn't sure how she'd greet him after he'd showed up the night before. It was obvious she was upset at his absence, and he wanted to prove to her that he was sorry. She was always there for him, and even though he'd asked her to let him be there for her, it was a swiftly broken promise.

Leading the way, the Uchiha peered to his left as Sakura matched each step with her own as they walked in silence. Raking his brain for something to say, Sasuke decided to walk closer to her instead.

'Just where is he taking me?' Sakura wondered, pushing up the straps of her pale white blouse as it slid down her shoulder with each movement. Not that she expected him to, but he hadn't even given her a heads up on what would be appropriate to wear today. Even though he'd said it was a date, she was glad she had opted to wear comfortable clothes instead of the dress strewn across her chair as the sight of an approaching moutain came into view.

There was barely a path if you could even call the slightly dampened grass that much. But the Uchiha led the way like he'd been here many times before. Noticing a jagged rock sticking out, he turned back to make sure she could climb up alright before stretching out his arm.

Pulling her up, his hand tightened its grip as her fingers freed to let go as usual. Looking down at their joined hands, Sakura thought back to when they had first started traveling together. Sasuke usually initiated contact only when it was necessary. He continued on as if it was quite natural for them to be so openly affectionate.

Once they reached further at the peak of the mountain, Sasuke awaited the medics reaction. It didn't disappoint as her eyes widened in awe while taking in the humming ocean, which was meters below them.

She doubted many people came up here, or if anyone even did, because of how strenuous it was to make the climb. The salt air rushed to her nose, and Sakura let out a sigh of content.

Sasuke had come across this this area while traveling. It was so breathtaking, and the only thing he thought was how he wanted to share it. He wanted to bring Sakura here, and he knew she would love it just as much.

"This is beautiful." She said quietly despite it being just the two of them occupying the space. It felt oddly serine, like it was only just the two of them. Everything was much bigger, much clearer. All her thoughts, all the worries that engulfed her seemed to evaporate along with the rising ocean air.

Their legs hung over the rocky edge as they sat next to each other. Tilting her head to see why Sasuke wasn't responding, Sakura's eyes widened at how close his face was. The dark bangs that were growing out slowly swayed along his cheeks as he seemed to be searching her expression. 'How pretty...' She thought, once again being taken aback by how delicate and lovely his features were.
Leaning down in a gentle motion, Sasuke lightly pressed his lips against hers.

Closing her eyes, Sakura lifted her chin. It was gentle and cautious, as if they were both testing the waters of their relationship. She could feel his lips turning up in a smile, and that only quickened her heart, knowing she was the cause of his reaction.

Raising up slender fingers, she touched her lips as though she could still feel it tingling.

Sasuke had already turned his head away, looking straight ahead at the ocean. Almost too nonchalantly, she thought before noticing a pinkish tint creeping at his neck. Was he just as affected as she was?

Sakura remembered when they had first began traveling together and made a stop at one of the villages. Thoughts loomed over the Uchiha as he sat against a cropped wall. She'd made her way over, knowing exactly what was bothering him. With a newfound confidence, she had bent down and placed a subtle kiss over his eyelid. For days after, she raked her brain to figure out just where she'd got the guts to make such a bold move.

Now that it was Sasuke initiating the contact, the confidence she possessed fizzled out, only to be replaced by a fluttering sensation in her chest. The renewed confirmation that what they had was not one-sided.

"Ha, our first kiss." She whispered under her breath, unable to stop the giddiness coursing through her.

"Well, I mean, it's not your first kiss. That was Naruto." She attempted to lighten the conversation, stifling an oncoming laugh at the memory. Back then, it had been a sight she wished to unsee and frankly knock Naruto out for. Now, it was a memory from their youth that made them seem more like incandescent kids than children who matured long before their time.

She watched in amusement as Sasuke's face scrunched up with visible discontent at the thought. The enjoyment quickly vanished off as quickly as it had appeared when realization washed over her. "Oh my god..."

Sasuke turned back to her, eyebrows raised as he saw her hesitate. "What is it?".

"It probably doesn't count, actually, I don't think it does, but Naruto was mine too."

With his full attention on her, curiosity filled his eyes as he considered what she had said. "Your what?.."

"Not exactly kiss. I had given him CPR when he was unconscious, but it was also the first time I ever did."

"Hmm."

Effectively cutting off her thoughts, Sasuke kissed her again before the medic could even react. He wasn't particularly jealous, but this was his time with her. While he knew it was her job, he didn't want to think of Sakura being so close to another guy when she was looking at him with such doe eyes.

The two of them stayed there for a bit longer, just enjoying each others presence. They didn't feel the need to do much of anything for them to have fun. This was what was relaxing to them.

"Why is it raining all of a sudden?" Sakura asked, straightening herself out, eyeing the looming grey clouds. A nimble hand tugged at her hand, pulling the medic to sit back down. "It's fine."

She looked at him, raindrops trickling over her forehead, sticking pink strands of hair to her face. There was no question she wanted to prolong this date for as much as she could, but they were out in the open where the rain hit harder.

Before she could reply, there was a purple hand hovering over the pair. This was the second time he had used his Susanoo to cover them from the rain. There had to be irony in here somewhere, Sakura thought. The marvelous generational Susanoo was currently being used as an umbrella.

With an ever-lingering smile, Sakura was sure this was a day she would be replaying for a very long time.

When was the last time she'd got to simply just be. To exist in the moment, and appreciate the salty smell of the ocean, the soothing sound of the waves, and most importantly the feeling of warmth brought light brush of shoulders with the Uchiha right next to her.

"Thank you for bringing me here." Sakura said, wishing she could take a picture of how beautiful the scenery, atmosphere, and everything in the moment was. She leaned her head against the curve of his shoulder, which she was now rather accustomed to. Breathing out a sigh, she wanted to stay in this moment forever, right next to him.

"Thank you for letting me."

_______________________

Happy New Year, Besties!

~LiEmerald
Posted on 31 December 2023