Going Back to Work

I am loving rewatching old Grey's. It's giving me inspiration to write more chapters.

Meredith's POV

I smile, seeing Richard at my front door. "Hey!"

"Hey, you busy?" He asks.

"Yes, I was just about to paint a wall and watch it dry." I joke with him. He follows me inside as I continue to fold laundry.

"Well, Karev and I talked the surgeons of tomorrow through kidney transplant today." Richard informs me.

"And?"

"And you being here instead of there is a waste." He sits down across from me. "I mean, also, it's your choice. It's also stubborn."

"Bailey spoke to you?"

"She did. Meredith, go back." He tells me. "Don't waste another day, not for me."

"I want to, but every time I try, I keep hearing my mother's voice saying Meredith's, it's Richard." I tell him.

"Well, that's very nice, but we both know that your mother would never put me before her career." He reminds me. I laugh at the comment.

"True. But I'm supposed to be better than her." I remind him. "Isn't that the point, be better? I can't be like her." He gives me a look.

"Go get your job."

"I don't want it if you're not being treated fairly. Gen and I both feel very strongly about that."

"And I appreciate the support you've both given me. I do. But the world is not a better place without you two doing the jobs you were meant to do. Changing lives. That's how you two can support me. Doing your jobs like you've always done. I will be fine." He reassures me.

"Gen quit." I remind him.

"And I will talk to her about that. She is too talented to let something as office politics keep her from doing amazing things."

"She supports you 100%." I tell him.

"I know, and I am thankful for that. But I will not let what is happening to me to affect anyone else." He gets up. "Get your job back. Is Benoist still in New York?"

"They are flying in tomorrow." I tell him.

"I will speak with her when she has a moment." He gets up to leave.

"Richard." I call out his name, and he stops. "You don't need to thank us for loving you." I tell him.

"Thank you, Meredith."

__________________________________
3rd Person POV

"Morning." April greets Meredith and Alex in the attending's lounge. "Good to have you back."

"Morning. Thank you." Meredith greets her back.

"So when I was Chief..."

"Interim Chief." Meredith corrects her.

"I took the liberty of catching you up on all your backlogged resident reports, department budgets, supply orders, so..." April hands the documents over to Meredith.

"I was gonna do that."

"Of course you were. I just figured, you know, the same way you fill the tank with gas when you return someone's car..."

"You stole the car." April fights back any harsh remarks.

"You're welcome." She leaves knowing people are still holding grudges against her for the taking the job. Riggs enters the lounge as April leaves.