Brain Surgery

Thank you for supporting me and waiting it out during the long breaks in-between updates. I hope you all enjoy this fun update.

Gen's POV

"Why are we gathered for this bullshit assembly?" Alex complains to me, and I give him a look. "What?"

"Did you not read the email?"

"There was an email?"

"How else would you know we had a meeting?" I question.

"Lots of people in white coats standing around." Alex points to the colleagues around us. I pull out my phone and show him the email detailing the passing of Dr. Harper Avery. "Holy...shit, this... didn't you have a meeting with him?"

"Did not officially have a meeting because he tried sneaking around me to talk about private hospital matters." I explain.

"But you saw him before he died."

"Yes. As I told the police." I share.

"You...you were questioned by the police?"

"I was one of the last people to see him before he died; Alex, of course, the police is going to talk to me." I explain.

"I know, but..." Catherine, Jackson, and Bailey walk through the crowd to stand at the steps.

"Harper Avery was not only a permanent fixture in medicine. He was my grandfather. I take special comfort in knowing that he died." Jackson shares, but he notices all of our faces looking at him with concern. "Doing what he loved." He clarifies.

"Bad save." Alex whispers to me.

"Shut up. Your grandfather didn't die." I remind him.

"Yeah, but I wouldn't have said I found comfort in him dying." He argues. I hit his shoulder.

"Mom?" Jackson turns the attention to Catherine, who is also disturbed by her son's choice of words.

"Unbelievable was the word he used. Harper spoke about how he was astonished by our work here." Catherine places a hand on Bailey's shoulder.

"Which is really a testament to your work, the incredible job that you're doing under the superb...superb guidance of Chief Bailey here." Jackson adds.

"They should have rehearsed that more." I tell Alex.

"No shit. I could have lied better than they did."

"You have." We burst out in laughter, getting some people to look at us.

__________________________________
I haven't seen Mark this scared since Derek got shot. He is always calm and collected, but the moment he uttered the words Amelia has a brain tumor, it felt like he was a little kid again. He lost his brother, and now there is a fear that he will lose his sister. He's trying to be strong for everyone, especially Amelia, since he's the only family from the Shepherd's side that has her back. He's trying to be everything that Derek would be for her, but he feels like he's falling short. No one can replace Derek, but Mark won't let himself feel human. Meredith is handling this all pretty well, considering, but then again, she handles trauma better than anyone. Too well, actually. Maggie is being Maggie. Trying to mother everyone and keeps everything the same when we all know it's not. Lexie can't stop spewing out facts about the surgery and how well it will go. She is trying to keep things light, but we're all terrified for Amelia. We're doctors. We know how this can go. A tumor is never simple. There can be unexpected complications, and we love Amelia so much that a thought without her is daunting. Amelia makes the move and shaves part of her hair for the surgery. She turns around to show us. "Is that it?" Maggie asks. "Kinda makes you look fierce."