Freedom

My apologizes I thought I posted this update and just realized I never did. I hope you all enjoy this new chapter.

3rd Person's POV

"Did one of you hit him?" Alex asks with worry.

"No one hit him. Again." Gen clarifies. "He slipped and hit his head all on his own." Lexie comes out of Paul's room after performing a neuro exam.

"Is he brain dead?" Jo asks her.

"I can't say with certainty for at least a few more hours, but it appears that way." Jo picks at her arm because she doesn't know how to feel. She's feared this man for years, and now there's a possibility he could be gone for good. He could no longer terrorize her. She would no longer have to fear him finding her and making her life a living hell. "I'm very sorry for your loss. Are you comfortable about talking to her about her options?"

"Yes." Jo answers.

"Page me if you need anything else." Lexie addresses the group.

"Thanks, Lex." Meredith thanks her sister.

"What does she mean by options?" Jenny asks.

"Well, she means you have to decide if you want to withdraw his life support." Alex explains.

"Alex." Meredith chimes in. "It's not up to her." They all look to Jo.

"Oh, my God. It's me. I'm still legally his wife." Jo realizes what this means. "Oh, my God." She bursts out laughing hysterically. Everyone lets her get it out of her system as the shock begins to wear off. "Oh, my God. I'm so sorry." She covers her mouth in shock at her reaction. "I'm so sorry. Crap. I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry." It finally hits her, and tears replace her laughter. Gen's pager goes off.

"Shit!" She races back to the pit, leaving everyone alone

"Carotid blew." Jackson informs her.

"One of epi!" Gen orders the team as she assesses the problem.

"Hematoma closes his airway, and we lost his vitals." Jackson informs her.

"The shockwave from the bullet must've weakened the carotid wall, and it ruptured." Gen states as she takes over compressions for Jackson.

"Let's get him to the O.R." Gen orders, and they're on the move.

"What happened?" April spots them as they're on the move.

"Carotid blew." Jackson informs her as Gen continues compressions.

"What's happening to Eric?" Mrs. Sterling asks. "He's my baby. He's my baby." She cries for her son as the team races to the O.R. to try and save his life. They make it to the O.R. with a team ready to help.

"Hold compressions." Jackson orders, and Gen stops. "We got a pulse." He announces. They transferred her onto the surgical bed.

"Hang another unit of blood." Gen orders.