Grief and Loss

I hope you all enjoy this update. More to come.

Mark's POV

"Where the hell have you been?" Gen's voice is booming down the hall.

"Hey, babe. Just showing Ellie off to her family." I point to my favorite nurses who are gushing all over Ellie.

"I have been waiting in the NICU for you for over an hour

"I have been waiting in the NICU for you for over an hour."

"I got lost in catching up with people.'

"You were away from work for a day, Mark." She reminds me.

"I'm a sociable guy."

"She is precious, Dr. Benoist." One of my favorite scrub nurses, Ruby, compliments Ellie.

"She is a blessing for sure." Gen answers.

"Dr. Sloan told us you two adopted her from a patient of yours who personally asked for you to adopt her." Lindsey states. Ellie is loving all of the attention.

"Yes, it was very unexpected, but some of the best things in life come when you're not expecting them." Gen answers.

"And she's just making our family bigger, so we can share more of our love." I add.

"How are the kids taking to her?"

"Well, she needs some more time in the NICU, but we do plan to bring the kids around when she's discharged to the peds floor." Gen explains.

"She's going to rock it. All the Sloans do." I announce.

"Did you two name her or..."

"Her birth mom Kristen named her, and it's such a beautiful name, and we respect her for wanting to give Ellie a wonderful life that we felt there was no reason to change it." Gen explains.

"So you two will still have a relationship with the mother?" Ruby asks. Ellie is fast asleep in her arms, which is why everyone at the hospital calls her the baby whisperer. She has the calmest touch so that all the babies on the floors fall asleep in her arms with ease.

"Yes. We talked about it long and hard, and it's the best decision for our family and Ellie." I state. "We met with the mother and felt no matter the mistakes she's made in her life, she will always want the best for her child, so there is no reason to keep her out of Ellie's life."

"Will she call her mom?" Lindsey asks.

"I guess that will be up to Ellie on what she feels comfortable with. She will know Kristen as her birth mother, and the relationship they have will depend on them." Gen answers.

"You two did the right thing giving this sweet baby a wonderful home. She will have so much fun with your four kids, and... you're giving her a great life."

"She's giving us a great life." I state. "Loving a child is like nothing else."

"Awwww."

"Sorry, ladies, but she does need to get back to the NICU." Gen states.